Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #1

Battery Depleted with new batteries

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi there,

I noticed that I can't shoot video with my K-r longer than a few minutes. Same with Live View, though I don't use that regularly. I have the battery adaptor and use 4 AA Eneloops. I am discharging a set that I tested and so far have drained 1287mAh out of them, so they were at least half full. The battery type didn't make a difference set to Auto or Lithium. I also tried some Alcalines (Maxell brand, so probably not the best), and the same happened with them, no matter the battery type setting.
I was running v1.11 and upgraded to 1.13 with no changes in that behavior.

Any ideas here?

Thanks!

05-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Eneloops are NiMh batteries, not Lithium. You say these are new eneloops? Or where you referring to the alkaline batteries as new? Alkaline batteries will have the shortest life of any battery type specified for the K-r. Approximately how many video minutes are a "few"?
05-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #3

Original Poster
Well. That's embarrassing. Setting it to NiMh improves this quite a bit! The eneloops were charged but not new. Not many cycles on them though. The Alkalines were new and only lasted maybe 2 minutes. But they are cheap, so I am not expecting a whole lot. Let me try some freshly charged Eneloops with the correct battery type setting and see how it goes

Thanks!

Christoph
05-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In case you will still face these problems you should also consider there is something wrong with your charger.
And: does your equipment show the discharging current and the load you discharged (both values seperate per cell)?

05-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
In case you will still face these problems you should also consider there is something wrong with your charger.
And: does your equipment show the discharging current and the load you discharged (both values seperate per cell)?
Yeah it does show that, it's a good charger. I doubt it's faulty. Thanks though!
05-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ckoehler Quote
Well. That's embarrassing. Setting it to NiMh improves this quite a bit! The eneloops were charged but not new. Not many cycles on them though. The Alkalines were new and only lasted maybe 2 minutes. But they are cheap, so I am not expecting a whole lot. Let me try some freshly charged Eneloops with the correct battery type setting and see how it goes

Thanks!

Christoph
Using AA power is not a big issue but it regards some discipline. You should start using the new camera together with a set of new Eneloops and you will not have problems. If your power source is old the problems might be there and the camera may not perform to its standards. Usually battery performance as specified by the camera manufacturer is based upon a set of new power source.

The charger for your AA power is very important. You should use a charger that is certified for your AA's. Best are smart chargers which control each battery individually. Never mix a set of 4 AA's, always use same sets. You will probably be using multiple sets of AA, if they are same type mark them so they can't be mismatched between the sets. If a single AA cell is dead dispose the whole set (or you can use the rest of the batteries in some other not so sensitive device).

Hope this helps. If not you can still go back to use the proprietary Li-Ion battery which will give you good performance.
05-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

These 2 x D LI109 DLI109 Li ion Battery for Pentax K R DSLR New | eBay are good. I got 4 of them.