Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Slowing down

I've noticed a slow down of posts in the K-r section .... is it because many K-r owners have upgraded (K-30, K-5, K-5II, K-5IIs)?
If you have upgraded, to what camera and what was the single most important feature causing you to do so?

05-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-r was discontinued in 2011, and a successor has yet to be announced...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I've noticed a slow down of posts in the K-r section .... is it because many K-r owners have upgraded (K-30, K-5, K-5II, K-5IIs)?
If you have upgraded, to what camera and what was the single most important feature causing you to do so?
I recently bought the K-30 because of WR and the great reviews on it.
I donated my K-r to the local United Way (with the kit zoom; which I never used....not once)
05-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I upgraded the K-r I purchased new for a slightly more used K-30. The biggest selling point for me is the 100% viewfinder.

05-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
Forum Member

I love my K-r. Bought it brand new from a local shop in Feb this year for $389 with kit lens. Amazing price.
I didn't know anything about this camera when I bought it. I have some old K-mounts lenses so I wanted a Pentax. But in Canada, DSLR is dominated by Nikon and Canon. I hardly see any sales for Pentax.
I passed by the camera shop and did window shopping. Saw this K-r with price tags $399. The guy told me it is a display and discontinued model so they wanted to get rid of it. He would take another $10 off and give me a 16G SD card if I buy it today. Of course, I took our my wallet right away.

Then, I started to learn this camera and asked questions in this forum. Initially, most of my pictures are not very good (compare to P&S) and I always suspect my camera has some defects (floor model). Turns out all of them are my setting problems. I believe I have a good unit and I still have a lot to explore.

I still have a question which i don't quite get a good answer. K-r is the entry model of Pentax DSLR camera line up. Therefore, I thought it is an low-end DSLR. However, Miguel told me in one of the post that it is not. Is K-r in the same grade as Canon T3i and Nikon D3200?
05-17-2013, 05:00 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Walking past the news stand a couple days ago, I picked up an issue of Consumer Reports related to photo gear. In the dSLR section, the Pentax K-r is still listed as a "Best Buy" camera, even though it has been discontinued. In comparison, both the K-30 and the K-5 were listed the next step down as "Recommended". These were not the only cameras with these ratings of course, but there were lots of dSLR cameras that didn't get either rating.
05-17-2013, 05:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Walking past the news stand a couple days ago, I picked up an issue of Consumer Reports related to photo gear. In the dSLR section, the Pentax K-r is still listed as a "Best Buy" camera, even though it has been discontinued. In comparison, both the K-30 and the K-5 were listed the next step down as "Recommended". These were not the only cameras with these ratings of course, but there were lots of dSLR cameras that didn't get either rating.
The problem is CR is worthless when it comes to cameras.
05-17-2013, 06:11 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by dmnf Quote
I love my K-r. Bought it brand new from a local shop in Feb this year for $389 with kit lens. Amazing price.
I didn't know anything about this camera when I bought it. I have some old K-mounts lenses so I wanted a Pentax. But in Canada, DSLR is dominated by Nikon and Canon. I hardly see any sales for Pentax.
I passed by the camera shop and did window shopping. Saw this K-r with price tags $399. The guy told me it is a display and discontinued model so they wanted to get rid of it. He would take another $10 off and give me a 16G SD card if I buy it today. Of course, I took our my wallet right away.

Then, I started to learn this camera and asked questions in this forum. Initially, most of my pictures are not very good (compare to P&S) and I always suspect my camera has some defects (floor model). Turns out all of them are my setting problems. I believe I have a good unit and I still have a lot to explore.

I still have a question which i don't quite get a good answer. K-r is the entry model of Pentax DSLR camera line up. Therefore, I thought it is an low-end DSLR. However, Miguel told me in one of the post that it is not. Is K-r in the same grade as Canon T3i and Nikon D3200?
You got a great deal....and it is a damn good camera

05-19-2013, 02:30 AM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

Bought it brand new from a local shop in Feb this year for $389 with kit lens
Great deal, great camera.
05-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
I like the performance and discrete form factor of K-r, it's a pleasure to use.

I've done these shots yesterday to test the Sigma EM-140DG flash, handheld with the DFA100WR.

Last edited by dragra; 05-20-2013 at 02:55 AM.
05-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Nup, still got my K-r, it's great. Still learning it, bit by bit, and recently got a Pentax M42 adapter so I can play with some old glass (from the Spotmatic kit)

Took a photo class recently and the instructor was initially inclined to lump the K-r with the "entry level" DSLR cameras in the group. Then he revised his opinion when he learned that it had in-body SR, 11 cross-type focusing points and many other little useful features not found in "entry level" cameras.
05-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
Forum Member

Wow that's a really good deal.
05-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #13
Site Supporter

I am proud to be a K-r user. While I have momentarily lusted after something bigger/newer, I still have much to learn from my K-r so there is no sense in upgrading.
05-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

2 years in (with a break for the last several months), and still very happy with my K-r, but still extremely unhappy with the direction Pentax is going.

I'd like to stay with the system when I eventually do have to upgrade/replace, but if they put themselves out of business with these stupid lens hikes and lack of new bodies, I'll be jumping with my next camera.