Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens Issue?

Recently when I take shots with my K-r with a kit 18-55mm lens, it's been taking a pretty long time to process/show the image. (Roughly 3.5 to 5 seconds before the image shows up on the screen). Thought it was a memory card issue, but still has the problem after deleting everything and formatting it. When I use a different lens however, it doesn't have this problem. Any ideas what this issue is?

05-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Check is you have any in-camera processing: high-ISO noise reduction, lens distortion correction.....

These options slow down the write-up time.
05-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Edit: ^^
05-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Clean the contacts on both the lens and lens mount. If debris is interfering with the proper connection between lens and body, you can get some pretty strange effects. It's also remotely possible that the lens is damaged.

05-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Check is you have any in-camera processing: high-ISO noise reduction, lens distortion correction.....

These options slow down the write-up time.
Turning off lens distortion and late-chromatic-ab adj made it more quicker/what it used to be for write up time. Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Clean the contacts on both the lens and lens mount. If debris is interfering with the proper connection between lens and body, you can get some pretty strange effects. It's also remotely possible that the lens is damaged.
Contacts as in the gold spherical shaped things? If so, does it matter which methods to use since I see there's a couple. (blower/brush, rubbing alcohol and eraser)
05-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Personally, I prefer a clean, dry cloth. You could use a tiny amount of alcohol on it if you want, but I've never needed to.

And yes, the metallic "beads" around the camera and lens mounts. Just buff them clean with a soft cloth. They can easily accumulate a film of grime that's almost impossible to see with the naked eye, but still enough to interfere with connectivity.

Even if it doesn't solve your current issue, it's good practice to clean them every so often as a preventative measure.
05-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok. I'll definitely try it out. Thank you.