Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
However, I am not good at color mixing. Any quick suggestions for the RGB settings if I want to make the sunset background to be amber or natural red to create the sunset effect?
Multiple layers and masks.
Adjust color for sky v.s. color for ground, etc... various tools can then be used at will to best "paint in" color adjustments in one area without affecting other areas.

Also, making all adjustments while still in 16bit AdobeRGB will help. Do not Convert to 8bit sRGB until you are ready to save the final JPEG.
It will reduce the banding like we see in the sky in the above images... although it is hard to tell if that is merely from compression or due to processing. I suspect compression is a major part in these images, but it certainly doesn't hurt to stay in 16bit -- unless your computer is over 10 years old where 8bit processing is almost a necessity.

06-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
unless your computer is over 10 years old where 8bit processing is almost a necessity.
is that speaking from personal experience?
06-08-2013, 03:44 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
is that speaking from personal experience?
ha! yeah but luckily not recently.
06-08-2013, 03:54 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
If you shoot RAW, you can leave it on AWB and forget about it...
I do find it useful to get the WB right even in RAW as it gives me a basis for correction in the raw process - I'll use "camera WB" or let my raw editor plus or minus it by certain amounts to get the result I want.

QuoteQuote:
It is common mistakes by beginners shooting in JPEG who usually changed the WB to "tungsten" during and indoor shooting before and then forgot to change WB the next day when they shoot outdoor during the day.
You better change that sentence so it reads "It is common mistakes by beginners and by Newmikey"

06-08-2013, 06:09 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dmnf Quote
However, I am not good at color mixing. Any quick suggestions for the RGB settings if I want to make the sunset background to be amber or natural red to create the sunset effect?
I realize you are using Faststone, and this application gives you direct color control via R,G,B, and Hue. However if you are just not comfortable using this type of control, consider purchasing Photoshop Elements. In my opinion it is far and away better than Faststone at nearly everything, except of course price. In this case, PSE offers a tool called 'Color Variations' which allows the user to see in advance the impact of RGB changes. It's not that the end result will be something that Faststone couldn't also do, but again, in my opinion, it does make it easier and faster to get to that result.
06-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
I do find it useful to get the WB right even in RAW as it gives me a basis for correction in the raw process - I'll use "camera WB" or let my raw editor plus or minus it by certain amounts to get the result I want.

You better change that sentence so it reads "It is common mistakes by beginners and by Newmikey"
Don't worry, you are not alone... we have gone thru that stage before... live and learn. Since then I have almost exclusively shoot RAW unless, of course, someone ask me to get JPG file straight from camera. In that case, I make sure I set the white balance on the spot.