Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #1

Tachnical issues for newbie, is my Kr broken?

Hello,

an utter beginner here with what appears to be serious problems with my Kr looking for some sage advice please..

Ive had this for about a year and a half but shortly after buying became seriously ill, all my things were put in storage ( at family home so normal temps no damp etc) including camera ( with battery and memory card removed and safely stored) , since getting it back out ive had the following occur in the last week:
  • When switching on the whole camera jams up, inc the menu, I cannot switch off unless I take out the battery - this is happening almost every 5 pictures or so.. so its driving me mad
  • The shutter is jamming occasionally stopping half way through, again I have to take out battery to reset
  • Images have completely dissapeard despite older images still being on the card and trying to recover with software ( I lost the whole set I did last week)
My additional problem is that Jacobs who I bought from have gone under so my extended warranty I guess is void? I have no additional paperwork other than the reciept as I was told just to bring it in if any problems..

I popped into Jessops explained the tech issues I was having and they told me it was my fault for not using the camera regularly?! How can a camera go 'wrong' when its barely been used? They suspected it would need serious work and were quoting 25 to send off and 200 just to do a check over ( before parts)

If anyone could advise if these issues show a potential manufacturing fault which means I can send to Pentax without having a valid warranty or what I could possibly check for and if Jessops were just taking the mick because I was an obvious newbie woman I would really appreciate it ;( I spent 700 on the basic with an additional DA 55-300 lens and that is probably small change for all you enthusiasts but it was a lot for me!

Thankyou thankyou thankyou

07-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can try using SD card recovery software to get your photos back.
Can you try a different battery or do you only have the one?
The classical first thing to do is:
Remove battery, charge it up, leave it outside for a while, put it back in.
Go to menu and do "reset to factory defaults."
These steps can resolve some small issues, but nothing serious.
Feel free to look for other threads about K-r problems specifically mirror problems and lockup problems.

You should send it in under warranty. Don't be too nice - in some stores employees try to turn everything into "its your fault" and just brush you off. Don't let them. Read up on some warranty laws in your region, bring all the papers with you (bills, warranty card, letter where you explain what the problem is, whatever is required in your region). Bring a friend if that helps, just make sure they understand your game plan and wont give up before you do. (sucks if you bring a friend and they are like "whell, the store dude said nothing can be done, its your fault" )
Oh, and you can try downloading the K-r manual in pdf and search if it ever mentions anything about "not being used regularly." The only problem I can think of from irregular use is if the battery goes bad.
07-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Check with Pentax UK whether Jacobs was a Pentax Pro dealer. If so, you have a 2 year Pentax warranty on proof of purchase. Fingers crossed.

Otherwise, phone Johnsons Photopia the official UK Pentax repairers and see what they say/quote. You don't need to go anywhere near Jessops.
07-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chutzpah Quote
Hello,

an utter beginner here with what appears to be serious problems with my Kr looking for some sage advice please..

Ive had this for about a year and a half but shortly after buying became seriously ill, all my things were put in storage ( at family home so normal temps no damp etc) including camera ( with battery and memory card removed and safely stored) , since getting it back out ive had the following occur in the last week:
  • When switching on the whole camera jams up, inc the menu, I cannot switch off unless I take out the battery - this is happening almost every 5 pictures or so.. so its driving me mad
  • The shutter is jamming occasionally stopping half way through, again I have to take out battery to reset
  • Images have completely dissapeard despite older images still being on the card and trying to recover with software ( I lost the whole set I did last week)
My additional problem is that Jacobs who I bought from have gone under so my extended warranty I guess is void? I have no additional paperwork other than the reciept as I was told just to bring it in if any problems..

I popped into Jessops explained the tech issues I was having and they told me it was my fault for not using the camera regularly?! How can a camera go 'wrong' when its barely been used? They suspected it would need serious work and were quoting 25 to send off and 200 just to do a check over ( before parts)

If anyone could advise if these issues show a potential manufacturing fault which means I can send to Pentax without having a valid warranty or what I could possibly check for and if Jessops were just taking the mick because I was an obvious newbie woman I would really appreciate it ;( I spent 700 on the basic with an additional DA 55-300 lens and that is probably small change for all you enthusiasts but it was a lot for me!

Thankyou thankyou thankyou
Sorry to hear all that. Here's one thought.... bad battery.

Perhaps think of buying one of those ultra cheap AA battery holders from China (they work just fine) and then getting four AA Lithium batteries. If the camera still acts up then you'll know it's really the camera giving you the problem.

07-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Power-Crazy?

Hello chutzpah, welcome to Pentax Forum!
I believe it's not the camera, it's the battery. Lithium batteries can be very tricky when the charge runs low, as it likely did during the long idle period.
Replacing the battery will be much cheaper than any repair, unless you're completely covered by warranty. I'd suggest buying a new one locally or online, while you're at it get a new SD card too. For about the cost of shipping your camera, you might fix the problem.
Even if that doesn't work, you're really not out much, you would need a new battery eventually, anyway.
JMO,
Ron