Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Your kit lens will cover more than 95% of all situations in terms of focal lengths. Unless you have some very specific needs, a telephoto will have a very limited use and it will be just weight. You can always crop a bit an image to get that telephoto framing; it is not the same, but very close. Ultra wide angles may be useful in some cases but you can always take 2 or 3 overlapping frames at a moderate wide angle (e.g. 24mm portrait orientation) and stitch them together. The results will be of much better quality image and it will have additional resolution.

Some questions to ask yourself are:
Are you willing to always have a bag with you and keep changing lenses all the time?
Is this a photo trip primarily or a regular tourist trip?
Do you have specific plans to photograph certain locations/objects that require special considerations (e.g. low light interior scenes, macro work, architectural details, fill-in flash, etc.)?

Unless you are a street photographer with a particular style that a single prime lens can provide, having a zoom is much more practical. And if you can live with just one zoom for most outings, it will dramatically improve the enjoyment of the visit.

If you are inclined to replace the kit lens anyway, something in the 17-70 or 18-135 will be ideal as a single lens, do-everything.

08-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #17

Original Poster
jrpower10: Yeah I've read about that. It is worrying but I've managed to not scratch a lens in the year or so I've had my K-r so hopefully now is not the time I'll start. Yeah most of the images look pretty good, even buildings etc.

carrrlangas: I was concerned about the weight of the lens as it weighs around the same as the camera itself but there's no getting around it I guess> I suppose you're either happy to carry it or not. In churches I find I cannot get far enough away to get what I want in the picture. With certain details I suppose I could theoretically use a telephoto and move to the other side of obstructions (pews etc.) but then I would be using a telephoto in a dimly lit environment which would be problematic also. The 16-50 is too expensive for me at the moment. I wouldn't use the weather sealing either as the K-r is not weather resistant. I am still considering the 17-50 and will prob add it at some point but may wait a bit to lessen the impact on my bank balance.

Colbyt: If you went again would you just take the 21mm? Or what would you take?

dadipentak: Pentax lenses don't come up second hand all that often in the shops that I can find online. The 15mm is too expensive new and the second hand ones seem to be quite rare. I have the 40mm XS which is good which could be paired with the 8-16mm although it does leave a gap. Is the 55-300 quite heavy?
08-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #18

Original Poster
demp10: The trip is a tourist trip so I guess I'm not planning on keep changing lenses all the time. I don't have a specific plan for the trip at the moment. I am still drawing this up. I don't mind carrying round a bag with me and would probably do this whether I had a camera with me or not.

I may hold off on replacing the kit lens. It is ok in some situations and I have found with a hood the quality is quite good. The downside is it is quite slow.
08-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fizzyvimto Quote

Colbyt: If you went again would you just take the 21mm? Or what would you take?

I'm a new k30 owner so if I went now I would take the 21 and the 18-55WR. But keep in mind that I like to capture what the eye can see in the most natural perspective possible. You may have different objectives.

Even with the k2000 I never used the 50A, the 40 was mostly to close for the streets and the 55-200 was only used for a few port shots from the ship. I took the 50 for museums or Catherderals but the 21 was fast enough for both with well braced, handheld shots. I should mention that I learned to shoot well braced low light film a long time ago so your mileage may vary. It is not all that hard to learn and will save you from carrying a tripod a lot of the time. It is about the same a shooting a rifle at a small target.

08-07-2013, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

I personally like the 18-135 as a travel lens.

More:

Collection: Europe 2011

Collection: Baltic Sea Cruise 2012

Most were taken with the 18-135. For me, the focal length range of this lens is perfect.
08-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fizzyvimto Quote
s the 55-300 quite heavy?
No--quite light given its range.

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
Your photos make a good case.
08-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote

More:

Collection: Europe 2011

Collection: Baltic Sea Cruise 2012

Most were taken with the 18-135. For me, the focal length range of this lens is perfect.

Nice ones from the 18-135.

08-08-2013, 05:02 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Your photos make a good case.
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Nice ones from the 18-135.
Thanks!
08-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You know, one question that hasn't been asked, that you should think about: who's going with you? And what's their tolerance level for lens-swapping? I know my wife can sometimes get aggravated if I'm swapping around too much, so a couple of zooms that cover your range might be less stressful on a holiday with family. If that's your situation, the 8-16 with the 18-135 might be the ticket. Just don't forget, the primary purpose of a holiday is usually to relax and have fun.
Cheers
08-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
You know, one question that hasn't been asked, that you should think about: who's going with you? And what's their tolerance level for lens-swapping?
Well said.
08-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #26
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
I'd get a 21Ltd if I were you.

Great rendering, interesting FOV, can focus really close. Also it is very small, almost weightless, focus really quick. You can find it used (very good condition) for 400-450$.
Not wide enough. I live in and travel frequently throughout Europe. It's VERY difficult, even with my 17-50 on the wide end.

If you or the OP have any questions on cities, equipment, specifics, etc., feel free to contact me. Also check my blog. I update it frequently with my travels and other stuff.

Last edited by snake; 08-10-2013 at 11:23 AM.
08-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For range & simplicity I would take my 16-45 and 50-200wr. These cover me for extra wide and moderate tele in two small and light lenses, and in poor weather too. A small prime or two would be nice as well.
08-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #28

Original Poster
Colbyt: That sounds like a good kit. I do like to take shots wider than the eye perspective some of the time. I don't have a massive amount of experience hand holding as I've only had a SLR for 18 months. That is a skill I will learn.

MPrince: Those are great shots. I've seen that one of the castle before, maybe while searching for that lens on Flickr. It seems like a great lens.

dadipentak: OK, thanks for the info. It seems like a great lens and the best in that FL and price range.

jrpower10: I will be going with a friend who is not into photography. In terms of swapping lenses I see a mid range zoom (e.g. 18-55 or close) would cover a lot of the opportunities and then for the odd shot I will change for the other lenses.

snake: Thanks for the offer of advice. I will probably take you up on that. I have been to a lot of countries in Europe but not since I got my SLR so it will require a different perspective from P and S photography.

jimr-pdx: That seems a good travel kit. I was looking at the 16-45 but it is now discontinued and used prices seem expensive. At least the ones I have seen.
08-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #29
Banned

I would advise you get the fastest lenses you can afford, even if the body is capable of good performance at high ISO levels. Go into churches, underground areas, alleys, etc. You will then wish you had it.
08-13-2013, 04:53 AM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
I would advise you get the fastest lenses you can afford, even if the body is capable of good performance at high ISO levels. Go into churches, underground areas, alleys, etc. You will then wish you had it.
OK. There aren't many fast wide angles available for Pentax are there though? What do you use?