Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Anybody found a blu-ray player that will play K-x/K-r video (MJPEG)?

I'm very disappointed to discover that both my Sony BDP-BX59 Blu-Ray player and my Dish Hopper cannot play any of the many home video files that I made with my K-x. I've done a little research, and it seems that the difficulty is caused by the fact that the K-x and K-r record video in the MJPEG format. Luckily, my k-30 uses MPEG4, so going forward there should not be any problems, but all of the videos I shot from 2010-2012 are unable to be streamed on my home media devices.

Does anybody have any advise? Or does anybody know of a Blu-Ray player that can stream/play MJPEG video files?

Thanks!

08-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Why don't you just convert the format,there are plenty of video conversion programs around and many of them are free.
Glenn
08-16-2013, 01:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Why not bring these into your computer and edit these, then create DVDs or Blu-Rays.

You can create DVDs that run HD footage provided the footage isn't excessively long (from memory less than 30minutes) if you don't have a BluRay burner
08-16-2013, 06:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its a bit odd for us to suggest you change the format, but its the best advice.
The camera doesn't compress the videos very much, either. You usually want to run them through some video editing software and tweak them a little, compress them some more. That way you get better image quality and save hard drive space.

But! If you already have many videos, converting them all might take a long time. I am no blu ray expert, don't even have a player for my TV set - I just connect the computer/laptop or tablet to the TV when I want to present something. I just ran a quick gugl search and some other forum claims that mjpeg cannot be played on blu ray players. This kind of stuff is exactly why I stopped buying these devices. I remember all the problems I had with DVDs, regions, CD-R and CD+R and CD-RW,.. its a nightmare.

Btw, a lot of TV sets allow to play SD cards directly or some other media connections. Take a look at all your options.

08-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I was hoping to avoid having to convert the files, since there are so many of them. But if that is the only option, does anybody have a suggestion for a specific program?
08-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Johndav Quote
Why not bring these into your computer and edit these, then create DVDs or Blu-Rays.

You can create DVDs that run HD footage provided the footage isn't excessively long (from memory less than 30minutes) if you don't have a BluRay burner
I don't want to deal with a stack of discs, not to mention the time and trouble of burning them all, and having to find the right disc you want to play. That's why media streaming devices are so nice, you can just browse the files on your computer and play them on your TV. It works great with my pictures, music, and other video files. It's just the K-x files that don't play.
08-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
a quick gugl search and some other forum claims that mjpeg cannot be played on blu ray players. This kind of stuff is exactly why I stopped buying these devices. I remember all the problems I had with DVDs, regions, CD-R and CD+R and CD-RW,.. its a nightmare.
I don't think the problem is the Blu-Ray players and media devices, so much as it that Pentax chose a kind of oddball video format for their camera.

And I didn't have to buy a device specifically to stream media to my TV's. That feature is already built in to most TV's, Blu-Ray players, and now Dish has it in their DVR. And they've gotten pretty good with their speed and interfaces. So it's a real bummer about these videos not playing.
08-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #8

This player appears to play mpg files
Android 4.0 Tv Box Hd Network Media Player / Streamer, Smart Internet Tv Set Box

I have used similar ones with excellent results

08-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Google Chromecast appears to support MJPEG. A chromecast costs only 35 bucks or so.

The biggest problem is availability. They are selling so fast that stock is limited.
08-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
Site Supporter

HandBrake: Open Source Video Transcoder

Just build up a queue and let it run...

You can open a folder of video files and it will build a list of them. Select one from the drop down menu, select a destination (which will become the default save location), and click Add to Queue. It's probably best to let the batch run over night.
08-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #11
Pentaxian

+1 for Handbrake. In linux, I also use DeVeDe with good results.
08-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
HandBrake: Open Source Video Transcoder

Just build up a queue and let it run...

You can open a folder of video files and it will build a list of them. Select one from the drop down menu, select a destination (which will become the default save location), and click Add to Queue. It's probably best to let the batch run over night.
I've got all my video files sorted into folders by year and then subfolders by month, and they're mixed in with video files from my other devices, so it won't be as simple as that, but it sounds like that might be my best option so far since there don't seem to be any Blu-Ray players that support MJPEG.

I appreciate the suggestions for the other media devices, but I'm trying not to ad any more redundant devices, which is why I'm hoping to find a Blu-Ray player that supports MJPEG.
08-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #13

My favourite free video player, which according to their website does play MJPEG is VideoLan or VLC. I'm sure I've used it for such a purpose.

VideoLAN - VLC: Official site - Free multimedia solutions for all OS!
08-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reliant K1000 Quote
My favourite free video player, which according to their website does play MJPEG is VideoLan or VLC. I'm sure I've used it for such a purpose.

VideoLAN - VLC: Official site - Free multimedia solutions for all OS!
Thanks, but I don't have any problems playing them on my computer. The problem is that most media streaming devices do not support the MJPEG format of the K-x/K-r.
08-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Okay, I've downloaded Handbrake and I was successfully able to convert a video file to H.264 with almost no loss in image quality, and a dramatic reduction in size from 500MB to 200MB for a two minute video. But now I'm very frustrated because I'm having trouble converting multiple files at once.

I can select a folder, but it only processes the first file in the folder. And before clicking "Start" to start the conversion, I have to enter a file name for the new file. But I don't want to make a new file, I want to convert an entire folder. I must be doing something wrong, so I'll keep messing with it, but if somebody else is familiar enough with the program to walk me through it, I'd really appreciate it.