Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #16

Original Poster
Wow. thank you for all the suggestions.

Based on reviews, prices, personal opinion and requirements i think i will go for either the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 (seems a brilliant lens for the price) or the sigma 17-70 / Pentax DA 18-135 to gain crossover with my current (and future) tele lens. The DA 16 - 45mm while in price range might leave too much of a gap between it and the tele zoom and the others in the UK are far too expensive for me to consider at this point, unless i get lucky and manage to snap up a real bargain!

As for the macros i think i will look into either the M 50 4 or Sigma 50 2.8 (manual) and/or play around with some extension tubes first and see how i get on, if it get into it then i can invest in a good macro lens. As i said im quite happy with the 75-300 at the moment but may see about borrowing, testing or renting the DA 55 - 300 at some point in the future to see what im missing out on.

To answer some of the other questions:
I haven't used exposure plot yet but my feeling is when using the 18-55mm i tend to stray near the two extremes and not much in between. The 75-300mm is the opposite and tend to go somewhere between 100 and 250, only going either side of this if i have to as beyond this it doesn't give the best results.
Yes i shoot in Raw
I do some PP just to get the image to match the scene i shot as closely as possible however i am hindered in this respect. My main computer is running Linux so at the moment im using DarkTable, i tried RawTherapee and while i prefer its user interface it did truly horrific things to my images when i converted them to JPEG (assume it doesn't like the .PEF format). I would love to use Lightroom, ive used it before and i think its superb but no Linux support there. Seriously considering moving back to windows just for Lightroom so if anyone does know a good Linux based PP software give me a shout

Keep and thoughts and suggestions coming and again, thank you!

P { margin-bottom: P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; }A:link { }

09-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #17
Emperor and Senpai

Have you tried using wine to run your windows programs?
09-10-2013, 04:13 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by hawaza Quote

Based on reviews, prices, personal opinion and requirements i think i will go for either the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 (seems a brilliant lens for the price) or the sigma 17-70 / Pentax DA 18-135 to gain crossover with my current (and future) tele lens. The DA 16 - 45mm while in price range might leave too much of a gap between it and the tele zoom and the others in the UK are far too expensive for me to consider at this point, unless i get lucky and manage to snap up a real bargain!

As for the macros i think i will look into either the M 50 4 or Sigma 50 2.8 (manual) and/or play around with some extension tubes first and see how i get on, if it get into it then i can invest in a good macro lens. As i said im quite happy with the 75-300 at the moment but may see about borrowing, testing or renting the DA 55 - 300 at some point in the future to see what im missing out on.

I haven't used exposure plot yet but my feeling is when using the 18-55mm i tend to stray near the two extremes and not much in between. The 75-300mm is the opposite and tend to go somewhere between 100 and 250, only going either side of this if i have to as beyond this it doesn't give the best results.
Yes i shoot in Raw
I do some PP just to get the image to match the scene i shot as closely as possible however i am hindered in this respect. My main computer is running Linux so at the moment im using DarkTable, i tried RawTherapee and while i prefer its user interface it did truly horrific things to my images when i converted them to JPEG (assume it doesn't like the .PEF format). I would love to use Lightroom, ive used it before and i think its superb but no Linux support there. Seriously considering moving back to windows just for Lightroom so if anyone does know a good Linux based PP software give me a shout

Re: Macro - have a think about what you will be shooting as 50mm will often be too short for insects etc. where you don't want to get so close you will disturb them.

I don't know if GIMP has support for RAW. I was using GIMP when I was on Linux and it was ok. Having said that I wasn't so into photography then so it may not suit your needs.

edit: I think you need a RAW plug in for GIMP. It is a stand alone RAW editor as well as being a plug-in but not sure how much functionality it has:

GIMP:
http://www.gimp.org/

Plug in:
http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/Install.html
09-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #19

Original Poster
VoiceOfReason - Unfortunately WINE rates any recent version of Lightroom as garbage thus ruling that out of the equation.

fizzyvimto - I have tried UFRaw but i just find the user interface awful and i cannot seem to get any decent results out of it. I do however quite like GIMP which makes it even more of a shame it doesn't naturally support RAW.

The Top 3 Raw photo editors for Linux seem to be UFRaw (terrible interface - makes controlling image enhancements tricky), RawTherapee (most user friendly and logically laid out but mutilates images converting them from .PEF raw files to JPEG) and Darktable (tries to be lightroom-esque but interface is lacking and improvements, while possible. aren't always pain free). It may be a matter of learning the interface but im a fairly determined individual and have given a fair bit of time using all 3 of them. First time using Lightroom it took me minutes sus it out and to achieve decent enhancements, with either of these 3 it takes significantly longer - and thats if a comparable output can be achieved at all. I am aware it is rather unfair to compare a free product with a paid for one but i guess the best paid for ones like lightroom are the yard stick which all other products are measured against.

Apologies for running a little bit off topic with that I'm aware it isn't directly related to the opening question.

09-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #20
Emperor and Senpai

On your camera can you save in .dng format instead of the .pef format? Maybe that will help with the programs you use, and I agree UFRaw sucks.
09-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I went with the 18-135 and am very happy with the lens. I got a great deal on a K30 body so I got it about a year after the 18-135 they make a great combo both being WR. I have been scanning ebay looking for vintage glass on the cheap but you have to be quite fast to get a good price.

Hans
09-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #22

If you are running Linux you might want to try the free trial of Corel After Shot pro it support linux x86/x64 rpm and debs

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?

Also Lightroom 3.6 runs very well with no bugs at all under wine1.6

Last edited by jrafael; 09-11-2013 at 03:24 PM.
09-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #23
wax
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Yes i shoot in Raw

You need good(better) glass to extract camera potential.
As a K-r owner for 2 and a half1/2 years I recommend you to keep yours and go for a winner cheap bet without riskA 2.4/35. Coming from the kit you´ll see another world after this lens. Similar as the quality of your SMC-m 1.7/50. I use mine almost anywhere and some times I replace it with my 55-300mm(lovely) zoom and my FA 1.4/50, my last adorated prime. Then, IMHO, you could say that you need a newer DSLR.

I spect to replace my K-r when the not launched yet K-5II(s) replacement get it price down, maybe in 1 year from now.

Last edited by wax; 09-11-2013 at 07:43 PM.
09-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #24
Forum Member

The 16-45 is a great lens. Sure, you lose a little focal length from the kit lens, but to me it is worth it for the lens quality for the price. I don't know how the prices run now, but it was very affordable when I bought it. 90% of the time I use the 18-135. Good lens with a great focal length that I can take anywhere and shoot a variety of types of photography and I do some decent closeup flower work with it. Also I very much like the 35mm 2.4. It is compact, inexpensive, and good quality. I bought the newer 50mm 1.8 and was a little disappointed with it for indoor work. Think it is the focal length but maybe I got a bad copy compared to my Nikon 50mm f1.8 (older lens) for my D50 and D70. But the first three are jewels. And the K-r is enough camera for me. I would replace it if it went out on me, but otherwise some of the bells and whistles of the other cameras I honestly don't need. Remember, if you get a newer camera, you will definitely want better lenses. So I would say get the lenses and use the K-r for now.

Last edited by Darlene; 09-13-2013 at 01:43 PM.
09-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #25

Original Poster
I've been giving this a lot of thought, reading a lot of reviews and checking up on prices and i think i will be going for the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8, brought new. Reasons for this are price, good reviews and that when brought new there is a 5 year warranty with Tamron, which put to bed worries of poor build quality and repair costs. I was toying with the idea of the Sigma 17-70mm C due to its rave reviews but just wasn't sold on being able to adapt to having to rotate 'the wrong way' and it just cant match the tamrons price or warranty, it is also quite new out so there arent really any on the 2nd hand market either.

Typically then when i went to buy it from Wex it was out of stock! This has led me to trawling the web and a various well known auction site in the hope of getting this, or one of the other lenses, at a good price 2nd hand in the meantime. Typically no such luck thus far but was rather surprised at the difference in price between getting a DA 17-70mm or a DA 16-45mm new and the price they go for 2nd hand here in the UK. The downside/upside of this web trawling has led to a mild case of LBA and have already picked up a very cheap (£7 inc postage, or approx $11), but completely unneeded, lens which i will obviously need to put through its paces when it arrives .

Thanks again for all your help and advise and i will eventually give an update when i have the new lens and whether i feel it was the right choice.
09-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #26

I've been giving this a lot of thought, reading a lot of reviews and checking up on prices and i think i will be going for the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8, brought new. Reasons for this are price, good reviews and that when brought new there is a 5 year warranty with Tamron, which put to bed worries of poor build quality and repair costs. I was toying with the idea of the Sigma 17-70mm C due to its rave reviews but just wasn't sold on being able to adapt to having to rotate 'the wrong way' and it just cant match the tamrons price or warranty, it is also quite new out so there arent really any on the 2nd hand market either.

Typically then when i went to buy it from Wex it was out of stock! This has led me to trawling the web and a various well known auction site in the hope of getting this, or one of the other lenses, at a good price 2nd hand in the meantime. Typically no such luck thus far but was rather surprised at the difference in price between getting a DA 17-70mm or a DA 16-45mm new and the price they go for 2nd hand here in the UK. The downside/upside of this web trawling has led to a mild case of LBA and have already picked up a very cheap (£7 inc postage, or approx $11), but completely unneeded, lens which i will obviously need to put through its paces when it arrives .

Thanks again for all your help and advise and i will eventually give an update when i have the new lens and whether i feel it was the right choice.
SRS appear to have it in stock:

Tamron SP 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] - Pentax Fit - Only £279.00 - SRS Microsystems

If you go on their ebay site they give free postage as well. It seems to be out of stock from a lot of places at the moment. I wonder why. It does have very good reviews and when finances allow I will be getting one to replace the kit lens.