Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #1

My K-R won't focus

Hello, I'm in need of some help here. This morning I dropped my K-R a couple of feet. It didn't looked damaged and since it's survived multiple drops, pouring rain, and rollercoasters I thought I had nothing to worry about. However, the autofocus has a mind of it's own all of a sudden. About an hour ago, it only wanted to autofocus on things close to me but now it only wants to autofocus on things far away. The manual focus is working just fine though so this makes me think the problem is the camera itself rather than my 35mm 2.4 AL lens. The only issue I've ever had with my camera is with the playback screen going black after I look at the last image on the memory card. That problem came up when I accidentally put the battery in wrong and had a hard time getting it back out. Since then, the issue fixed itself but the battery won't glide in and out so easily anymore. Has anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it?

09-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try live view, does AF work normally there?
Can you try AF with a different lens?
I suspect you damaged the AF module or a part of it. I doubt there is much you can do. Use live view, MF, zone focusing, or think about a new camera body. A used K-30 is not that expensive anymore.
09-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for replying. Unfortunately, AF is not working properly in live view. I will see if the problem persists with a different lens when I get home. I will definitely consider upgrading.
09-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Wait, if AF is not working in live view, its not just the AF module.
It could be the camera or lens mount being bent, or the lens elements being decentered.

09-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #5

Original Poster
How can I tell? Everything looks normal as far as I can tell.
09-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Try setting AF to the AE-L button option. Maybe the shutter release button is jammed.
09-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great! My Kr has just developed a similar error. Via viewfinder it just won't focus, just gives the whirring "krrr..krrr..krrr" several times until if stopped like the focus is found, but it's not focus and the shutter will not operate. However, in live view the focus is fast, sharp, and spot on.

Dead AF module? Where is this module anyway? The thingy below the mirror?

09-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #8

Original Poster
No luck with setting AF to AE-L. Sorry to hear that you have a similar problem. Not sure where the module is. I just went ahead and ordered a K-30. I tried one at work the other day and was extremely impressed.
09-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amayers3 Quote
No luck with setting AF to AE-L. Sorry to hear that you have a similar problem. Not sure where the module is. I just went ahead and ordered a K-30. I tried one at work the other day and was extremely impressed.
Ah, it turns out the AF was broken on the lens, not the camera!
09-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #10

Ah yes, I had the same problem with both my sigma 70-300 APO DG lenses. One dropped when the camera strap broke, and one was knocked to the floor by my wife's now deceased cat. They would "click" and "ratchet" (sic) but they would give up and not focus. Knew it was the lenses because others worked fine. Sent both off to Sigma and they replaced the "index ring" on both. Oddly, both now work perfectly on my KX, but one will not work on my K100d. $60.00 each including freight, but now both look like brand new.Cheaper than buying another.