Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #1

K-r or K30 or K5II for manual focus

Its late and I am very tired so hope this come out ok. I have a K-r, love it, but having much trouble with my old eyes in focusing non AF lens. From my limited knowledge does the k30/k5II have some pluses over the K-r to being able to focus manually?

10-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A bigger and brighter viewfinder

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The K-30 has focus peaking if you want to focus in live view.
10-04-2013, 12:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The K-30 has focus peaking if you want to focus in live view.
And try live view on your K-r if you haven't already. Also consider a focusing screen. I used this one on my K-x and it worked well:

Focusing Screen

It's actually a high quality Nikon screen.

10-04-2013, 01:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I went from a K-x to a K-5 and I found manual focus much easier. At least with the K-5 (the K-30 or K-5II would be the same), I can tell if its close to being in focus making the process much quicker. Also the focus point (I used center fixed all the time) lights up a bit before focus confirm - again alerting you as you go through the focus zone.
10-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The newer Pentax cameras have pentaprism instead of the K-r pentamirror. And I think they are also bigger. So it should be easier for MF.
The K-30/K-50 also have focus peaking, which can help you out a lot with MF in live view.

But with your K-r, you can still try using live view and the digital zoom function. Or catch-in-focus (aka focus trapping) - there are a lot of threads on this, and it can be great for old MF lenses.

You can also try installing a different focus scree. Split prism, matte, there are many types, and some users report great improvement with them. But its mostly for primes, not that great for slow zoom lenses. JinFinance, focusingscreen.com, katzeye, etc. You can even try a cheap Chinese knock-off from ebays. Installing it can be a bit of a headache, as you have to make sure not to touch it or get any dirt on it, and it needs to be placed just right on shims, or it will show wrong focus in the viewfinder. Shouldnt affect AF.