Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2013, 04:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-r v1.14 AWB issue?

Hello everybody!

I'm just back from a trip after updating my K-r's firmware to v1.14. Prior to that, it was running the 1.00.
I noticed that, whein I shot indoors with fluo or LED lighting, the white balance was too warm, trimmed around 4400K whereas the "truth" (if there was any) was rather around 2800.
I've never noticed that before, and I use that camera for over two years now... so I was wondering if that was a concern I just haven't noticed before (as I don't do indoor shooting so often), of it someone else experienced that after upgrading the camera's firmware.
As I record raw files, it isn't much of a concern to correct that, but I'd like to have things sorted by themselves.

BTW, I always leave the WB on "auto".

Cheers,

10-06-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I dont think thats really a new thing. For white balance, its best to set it manually or use one of the closest presets before you start shooting. Indoors you should switch to tungsten, instead of AWB. I generally only use AWB when the light is changing or I dont have the time/tools to set it. And then I tweak it in pp, but often I dont have to.

LED lights are the devil btw. In photography, random LED lights can really make the photo look terrible. They dont emit a wide spectrum of light, so correction wont work well, and they clash with any other ambient lights.
10-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Not sure about the K-r, but the K-5 has an menu option (custom menu, option 12) for strong vs. subtle tungsten correction in AWB. When set to "strong", even the yellowest of indoor lighting turns out great.

The downside is that the camera can sometimes turn a daylight shot of people in front of a red barn a sickly blue color. But it is reliable enough that I always leave it on.

In the K-5, this option is reset to subtle whenever the user settings are reset to their defaults. Again, I'm not sure if the K-r has this, but it is worth checking.
10-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
G.T
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you for your answers.
I found the tungsten correction on the K-r (for the record: Custom menu, item 13). Perhaps it is due to the LED lighting, as I can't remember I did this before.

I'll give it further tries. I have to admit I mostly do outdoor pics, where we are free from these considerations.