Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2016, 03:40 AM   #16

I still can't believe there isn't a mega-thread for this like the K-5
It went completely bonkers yesterday and ended up with me searching ebay for nikons!!!!!!

Searched back though some of the old threads and aperture control boards were being replaced, but I think that service costs around £200 now, so that's out the question.
I also read that this was just an issue with cameras that had an all in one aperture system, and that the k-5 was more liekly ro be reliable, but then I found the threads with that mirror flop issue! So, is there a pentax which doesn't suffer from one of these problems? Also looking at a k-50, but recently found reports of that having problems!

Yesterday I had 2 charged up batteries, it took about 5 shots before the mirror flop started, could not solve it for an hour, lenses on and off, batteries out, pushing aperture flap up when resetting, etc...
I even downgraded the firmware to version 1.14 because the uk website only goes up to that, must have got 1.15 from the US/JP site!
It randomnly started working again, so I retired it for the day.
I will have to get a video of it one day, but I don't know how much it'll show as live view has never worked, it won't take a shot in live view! haha

05-08-2016, 05:19 AM   #17

Couldn't take it anymore, bought a Nikon!
Sorry guys...
05-08-2016, 08:15 AM   #18
Pentaxian

good luck! happy shooting!
05-10-2016, 07:25 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can't say as I blame you. There are many fine cameras out there of all makes and models.

05-23-2016, 02:04 PM   #20

To anyone else having this problem: CHANGE THE POWER SOURCE.

I recently acquired the K-r, and was battling the random shutter behaviour, mirror flop, and everything else that went with it. Messing with the aperture lever didn't really help things. I am both relieved and delighted to report that I sorted all these problems by switching over to Panasonic Eneloop Pro AA batteries, as suggested elsewhere on this forum; I was previous using Li-ion batteries. Today I had the confidence to absolutely hammer the camera; there wasn't a single glitch. Not *one*.
08-08-2016, 08:17 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After buying my K-r, it worked great. Every time I started him/her up, I'd enter the focal length (+OK) and then the "M" for manual (+OK). Then one day, I read this was unnecessary unless a change of setting was desired, and it was possible to immediately take a shot. Great (I thought!). So I turned on the camera and took a shot. Big mistake. After that, whenever I touched any button, the shutter would release. It drove me crazy until I went back to the old startup procedure. First enter the focal length (+OK) and then enter "M" for manual (+OK). And now everything is fine and I'm happy again.
08-29-2016, 05:07 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Phishpot Quote

I recently acquired the K-r, and was battling the random shutter behaviour, mirror flop, and everything else that went with it. Messing with the aperture lever didn't really help things. I am both relieved and delighted to report that I sorted all these problems by switching over to Panasonic Eneloop Pro AA batteries, as suggested elsewhere on this forum; I was previous using Li-ion batteries. Today I had the confidence to absolutely hammer the camera; there wasn't a single glitch. Not *one*.
+1 for this suggestion. I bought used K-r few months ago and now I use it with Eneloops mainly, Li-ion batteries (all used 2 genuine Pentax, one third party) are only spare ones for me. With new AA's camera is totally reliable. With used Li-ion's it sometimes starts to behave quite strange even when battery should be not exhausted yet.

12-09-2016, 07:56 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shutter fires on any button problem.

This was an earlier post I made:
After buying my K-r, it worked great. Every time I started him/her up, I'd enter the focal length (+OK) and then the "M" for manual (+OK). Then one day, I read this was unnecessary unless a change of setting was desired, and it was possible to immediately take a shot. Great (I thought!). So I turned on the camera and took a shot. Big mistake. After that, whenever I touched any button, the shutter would release. It drove me crazy until I went back to the old startup procedure. First enter the focal length (+OK) and then enter "M" for manual (+OK). And now everything is fine and I'm happy again.

Update: On starting up, if I merely touch the shutter button (not press), the camera will allow me to skip the "focal length (+OK) and then the "M" for manual (+OK)". After touching the shutter button, I can then fully press the shutter button and take a picture without a problem.

But something new happened today!
I did the mirror lock up to use the blower to dust off my sensor. When I finished, not thinking clearly, I remounted the lens. Ouch! Touch any button and the shutter would release. Then I remembered what I'd forgotten. It's important to shut the camera off before remounting the lens. (Manual p. 318-319) I took the lens off, shut the camera off and remounted the lens. The camera was back to operating normally.

Last edited by Joseph464; 09-03-2017 at 06:31 AM.
06-09-2020, 09:52 PM   #24

Hi,
I have the kr and I recently bought a telescope and the t-ring and adapter so I could take some pics of planets.
When I put the t-ring on the camera and turn it on, I set it to manual lens and select 800 for the focal length. It fires the shutter every time I click anything like the original post mmentioned. Sometimes it just starts clicking and I have to turn it off and take battery out and put it back in for the camera to be usable again.
I have no issues if I use a normal lens and not the t-ring.
(Btw the edial has the issue with it needing the grease to be removed.. not brave enough to open it up )

Any hints on how to resolve this ?
Thanks for your help
07-01-2020, 11:30 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Fresh (brand new) batteries could help. On mine with some older batteries I have no problem with modern lenses or lenses with A-contacts, but with older M-series lenses it happens. M-lenses are close to t-rings as they have no contacts on lens base at all.
09-25-2020, 07:02 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Phishpot Quote

+1, very important.

The problem with the K-r and mirror flop etc. is linked to the powersupply which was taken over from the K-x but the first time the Li-Ion was chosen.

One other possibility is to set in the menu battery-type not to AUTO but either Li-Ion OR Ni-MH:
See here how this solved problems with the K-x:
Battery type AA/NiMH/Eneloop in K-x, K-r, K30 K50, K500 as well as *ist/K100/200/2000 - PentaxForums.com