Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Unable to take photos in LV

I have this weird problem. My K-r is almost two years old, and has been used frequently. Today my camera went wild. When using any of my lens, i am unable to take photos when using LV, and sometimes when looking through viewfinder. When i press the shutter button it flips the mirror but never triggers the shutter. Also i can not use optical aperture preview when using LV. If i press that button aperture does not close and it makes weird sound which i can not explain, it just does not feel right. Both aperture levers on lenses are in normal working order and the aperture lift lever on camera also looks to be OK. I recently updated to 1.14 and did not use it until today. Is there a possibility to downgrade back to something like 1.12?

10-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey. Let's do the regular process first, right?
Remove the lens and make sure the contacts of the lens and camera mount are clean and not wobbly.
Now take the battery out of the camera, charge it, and then leave it outside overnight.
Put the battery back in and look at the settings. Some settings can prevent you from taking a photo, like if you have focus priority or something set up or forced flash but no flash or you forgot you had 12 sec timer turned on... Also, make sure you have aperture ring enabled (final option in the menu) if you are using an older lens, or just in general.

QuoteOriginally posted by zvon Quote
Is there a possibility to downgrade back to something like 1.12?
Very difficult. You can find a thread or blog post about this, but its not something you are supposed to do. Its a last resort. Before you try to downgrade, make sure you try another battery (wonky batteries can often cause odd defects, and batteries dont last forever). With the K-r you can buy a second battery online, even an off-brand one, just make sure it is designed for your region (so the charger works). Or try the AA adapter and some AA batteries. And do a reset to factory defaults, too.
10-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #3

Original Poster
I use both original lithium batteries and eneloops which i have been using most often. Contacts are fine as are the camera settings which I rarely change (i have my own setup which suits me most), but I did check that also. Problem started to arise just recently. I usually use kit lens and smc pentax-a 50mm 1.7 manual focus lens. Also, after trying to shoot via LV, when switching to viewfinder mode i have to wait and press shutter 2-3 times before viewfinder mode starts working normally but not always. I just noticed that sometimes mirror wont flip up when taking photo. I am new to this very stupid problem/glitch so I don't know what is happening exactly, it is just going mad...
10-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter

If this is only happening in LV, and the camera works normally using the viewfinder, the most probable cause is a bad battery. LV draws a lot of power while in operation. Batteries that are wearing out typically cannot keep up with the heavier power demand of LV.

10-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #5

Original Poster
It started to happen in viewfinder mode also. No matter what batteries I use. I have classic eneloops as well as eneloop XX, and also an original Li-ion battery.

also, if i am in viewfinder mode and try to take a picture, after i press the button, mirror flips up and becomes locked for some time and than flips back, as if i were shooting some kind of long exposure. In that time i can detach lens and the mirror will stay up and shutter closed (i do not see the sensor).

I just noticed that if i leave the aperture wide open, camera will fire, as soon as i pick any F number that will start to close the aperture, camera will start to go wild.

Last edited by zvon; 10-19-2013 at 04:18 PM.
10-31-2013, 06:07 AM   #6

Original Poster
I have sent the camera for repair. They said that the problem is probably somewhere in that whole device that incorporates motor, shutter, and aperture lever. And because that is a lot of work in terms of time, he suggested that it would be best to change everything. Price: $115