Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #1

Autofocus not working

I was shooting as normal today (product photography, was outside) and out of nowhere by auto focus will not work. It does not work in live view or through the view finder. It does not do anything, no red dots, no beeping, absolutely no focusing. I have had my Pentax k-r for almost 2 years now, I have had no problems out of it. I'm not well-versed in photography whatsoever. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to fix it.

11-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried with more than just 1 lens?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In addition to Adam's question....

Silly as it sounds, make sure your switch is in the AF position.
Try unmounting the lens. Make sure the AF screw is extended. Press and release the lens release button - you should see the screw retract and extend. If if is not extended, nudge it gently with the tip of a ballpoint pen to see if it will pop out on its own.

If the screw does extend, put the lens into the camera's lens mount but do not turn it yet. Hold in the lens release button, then turn the lens all the way to its stop (do not force it, just turn all the way to the stop). Release the lens release button and gently turn the lens backward in the mount until the locking pin engages - this will help make sure the screw is aligned with the socket in your lens.