Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sdxc...?

Am I correct in thinking, a k-r will take a 64gb or 128gb SDXC Card, after a firmware update..?

I recall reading it somewhere, or was I dreaming..!

Thanks..!

11-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FTOeire Quote
Am I correct in thinking, a k-r will take a 64gb or 128gb SDXC Card, after a firmware update..?

I recall reading it somewhere, or was I dreaming..!

Thanks..!
Yup, it should definitely be able to after the update

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I don't have an SD XC card to test with, but I do use SD HC cards with my K-r all the time. It should work, just make sure you get the latest firmware update (it includes all previous updates). There are many threads about how to do the firmware update, in case you are worried. Its a safe process.
I also suggest you get the card from a reputable source. If you buy from weird online stores, it can happen that you get a knock-off (there were reports of this before). I suggest you buy it from an actual store, and get a good brand like Sandisk. I think some time ago some members reported problems with certain Sony cards, so maybe look for those threads if you were planning on buying Sony
11-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks.
I have the latest firmware.
Gonna get me a "BIG" card now..!

12-04-2013, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I personally run smaller cards, 16's. I always used to get the biggest cards but they just end up getting replaced after being over spent on. Plus they never get filled. My 16's barely make it over half now.

But, once I get a K3, then I will get 2 new 16's, or 32S, due to file size and ability to use the new, faster technology.
05-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #6

I'm surprised anyone would want a really huge memory card with a K-R. I use 32Gb cards most of the time, in anticipation of using the interval shooting mode to make time-lapse video. If I shoot Raw+Jpeg on the KR a 32Gb card allows me to shoot over 1100 images, and if I shoot plain Raw, which I do most of the time now, I can get over 1500 images on a card. If I shoot Jpeg only for any reason (most unlikely) I can get over 4400 images on a card. Do you really need to carry over 1500 images around on each card? Or even 1100? I'd rather have a few more cards around and swap them out than have that many images on one card.

Now if I get a K3, yes, I can see the point of more than 32Gb because the images need a lot more storage space.
05-18-2014, 10:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fire Angel Quote
I'm surprised anyone would want a really huge memory card with a K-R. I use 32Gb cards most of the time, in anticipation of using the interval shooting mode to make time-lapse video. If I shoot Raw+Jpeg on the KR a 32Gb card allows me to shoot over 1100 images, and if I shoot plain Raw, which I do most of the time now, I can get over 1500 images on a card. If I shoot Jpeg only for any reason (most unlikely) I can get over 4400 images on a card. Do you really need to carry over 1500 images around on each card? Or even 1100? I'd rather have a few more cards around and swap them out than have that many images on one card.

Now if I get a K3, yes, I can see the point of more than 32Gb because the images need a lot more storage space.
I agree. I don't shoot video, but my 4 gig card is all I've needed. LOL