Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2014, 12:33 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
camera has in body motor which adjusts aperture for the lens, thus if lens aperture lever is tight, motor will struggle. Symptoms were the same as wes and couple of other threads about mirror flopping are providing.

if i am not wrong, in kr the same motor is also raising a mirror but not sure yet. if i am correct, then mirror flopping in kr-like bodies fully depends on a tight aperture of a lens.

i will try to find and provide more evidence when i am back home, but for now i just want to caution people to avoid using lenses which cause mirror flopping.

p.s. i first had this issue when i got a lens with broken aperture, i stopped to use that lens. half a year later one of my old manual lenses got the same behaviour after not being used for a while, i have noticed aperture lever in that became a bit tighter. back then i did not care but now i have the entire picture for myself.

Last edited by d1pr3d; 04-30-2014 at 12:39 AM.
04-30-2014, 06:46 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by d1pr3d Quote
mirror flopping in kr-like bodies fully depends on a tight aperture of a lens
I think you mean a tight aperture lever mechanism...

but in any case this notion IMO is completely wrong, my K-r flops not because of the aperture lever, but (IMO) because of its absence. I am referring specifically to T-mount lenses I have tried with a conducting mount, to M42 lenses mounted with a plated (NOT anodised) rimmed adapter, and to SMC-M lenses not fully mounted so that the aperture lever isn't (fully)engaged. These are the circumstances I experience flopping.
04-30-2014, 08:01 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
might be two different causes which lead to the mirror flopping, am not arguing against
but the fact to bear in mind is i had no such issue with k/m lenses before those started to have tight aperture control. Those became tight after long time without use and probably due to more humid climate i have moved in.

so my conclusion would be the following:
1) take the "bad" lens
2) mask contacts as jkomp suggests
3a) if issue is solved, congratulations, skip the next step and go make pictures
3b) if issue persists, just stop using the lens
4) check how tight on lens aperture lever is compared to a "good" lens
08-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #19

Original Poster
unless the previous owner of my camera used M lenses frequently (i dont think he did) then I don't think that's the cause for me, I suppose you could say mine started after buying a sigma 50-200mm lens, but the problem didnt arise for a couple of months after.

Updating firmware didn't help me much, but one of my last posts I narrowed it down to the sigma lens fully zoomed and my manual lens causing the issue, i stopped using the M 50mm ( i wasnt very good with it anyway) but the sigma is attached permanently, and now it's started having the problem more frequently, regardless of zoom position. The mechanicals have always appeared to move freely, I'm assuming it's something to do with the connection, the lens isnt heavy and it doesnt feel loose so i'll try getting some contact cleaner and see if that improves things at all...

08-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #20

Original Poster
points didn't look dirty, gave them a rub down, went to take test shots and realised battery was dead, this is probably why it got worse again. popped another fully charged battery in, zoomed the sigma in and masses of "floppiness" ensued!

My theory was that hi-burst mode probably wasn't a good idea so switched it to single shot mode but it wasn't brilliant, but did make a difference, so switched back to burst mode which totalled my camera - black screen, no response, not even to powering off. So i pulled the battery and since putting it back in it's worked a dream, no flop issue fully zoomed in and in hi-burst mode for over 300 (rapid) shots now. I can't win!
08-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I use to use the green button to set the shutter speed (correct exposure) with my manual M lens. Ever since I stopped doing that, I haven't had many problems with flapping/locking up. Now I have my green button programmed to take a digital picture and display it - I then adjust my shutter speed manually by repeating this until I get the exposure I like.
08-18-2015, 08:50 AM   #22

Original Poster
Still completely random!!! haha
Seriously putting me off buying another Pentax...
08-18-2015, 12:37 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Haven't had a single flop with the K5 I acquired 6 months ago to replace K-r - any lens, ever.

In retrospect I can remark that the K-r is not the best Pentax model to use with legacy lenses. Upgrade to a newer model!

08-19-2015, 05:38 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Haven't had a single flop with the K5 I acquired 6 months ago to replace K-r - any lens, ever.

In retrospect I can remark that the K-r is not the best Pentax model to use with legacy lenses. Upgrade to a newer model!

Throw some money my way so I can upgrade

Haven't used legacy lenses in over a year, my issues happen with my sigma 50-200mm...

And another problem i've never mentioned, because I don't use it, but liveview shooting doesnt and never has worked