Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #1

Time and Date settings

Hi
I have a fairly recent but irritating problem with my K-r in that when I remove the battery to charge, it loses the time and date settings. This can be as quick as an hour or less.
I cannot find any reference in the manual to a back up battery, so is this a fault, or is there a battery I can change which hold up the settings?

Cheers!

12-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes there's a backup battery in the camera, but it's not designed to be replaced at home, unless you're comfortable working with cameras of course.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi, thanks for the reply!
I guess I wouldn't be happy if it involves any degree of dismantling, so I will take it to a local dealer!

Cheers
12-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure how long the internal battery should hold the settings (seems like a couple of hours wouldn't be unreasonable, but...), but you can always get another battery, and swap them out while one's on the charger. I like to keep both of mine fully charged, if possible. The alternate road is to get the AA-adapter and keep a set of lithiums on hand, or the rechargeable AAs (most folks on the forum recommend Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables).

12-30-2013, 04:31 AM   #5

Original Poster
That's a plan - I use the AA adaptor usually, but I could swap for the Usual battery while the camera is on charge
02-11-2014, 06:34 AM   #6

disappointed

I'm disappointed that this little battery that holds the date and time while the main battery is out is going to be an expensive service at a camera shop. It should be user replaceable. The manual makes no mention of any of this.
02-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've had the same thing happen to my KR if I stored the camera for a few days without a main battery so if you allowed you main battery pack to discharge fully the internal storage cell may also have discharged
It is always a good practice to bring your camera body into a local camera repair shop for a professional cleaning every couple of years for a cleaning and a general checkup. The service technician can check the internal storage cell and it's connections at the same time and change it if necessary and the cleaning will definitely extend the life of your camera. It may be difficult to find a camera repair shop in your local area but your local camera shop should be able to help you find one.
05-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #8

My K-r has recently begun exhibiting this problem. Very disappointing for a two year old body with less than 2000 shutter actuations!