Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2014, 01:23 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Original Poster
More info

The repair details from JP state:
Repairs to Pentax KR S/N 4270201
521346 77650G100 Diaphram control block (K30) replaced diaphragm mechanism adjusted and calibrated clean check and test £170
VAT £34
Total £204
The main reason for my outrage is not that a camera can go wrong out of warranty, it is the total 'no response' from Pentax.

JP Solutions is the authorised repair center that Pentax advise.

01-17-2014, 01:47 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Original Poster
and one more thing

My Posting is entitled 'Dreadful Service from Pentax'. It isn't 'Why did my camera go wrong out of warranty?' I do understand shit happens and I can be simply unlucky. The main reason for my upset is the total 'no response' from Pentax to my letters. If they had even just sent a polite 'sorry but live with it' letter then I wouldn't be so disappointed. The incident has caused me to lose confidence. How do I know whether this is going to keep going wrong? A simple letter from Pentax stating 'we are not aware of any design fault with this model' would be so reassuring.
01-17-2014, 03:56 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey, looks like you are a normal human after all. Which address did you send your message to? JP have their own address: pentaxservice@jpss.com
01-17-2014, 04:05 AM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alan19531953 Quote
A simple letter from Pentax stating 'we are not aware of any design fault with this model' would be so reassuring.
Alan, your case concerned an out of warranty issue that a service department has no business dealing with.

It's a PR one at best, and - just a guess - probably did not survive the first (most likely junior) employee who received it tasked with separating the letters to be passed up the line as actionable from those considered irrelevant, abusive or spam.

You're a Brit, right?

If you send a letter of complaint about some issue to David Cameron - you may not actually get a reply ...

Last edited by clackers; 01-17-2014 at 04:13 AM.
01-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #35

I haven't read the whole thread, but my expirience with Pentax repair is absolutely flawless. The guy that works in official pentax repair shop explained a lot of things to me about how the camera works and why i had problems with it. They charged me around $120 for replacement motor, motor was only $10 and rest was work. I have a friend that owns Canon 1100d which is used by her students at college, and shutter got busted. Canon said that repair of that magnitude would be around $450. I asked the guy at my local Pentax repair shop about shutter repair on my K-r and he said that it would cost around $250 but he also added that he never had an opportunity to change a shutter on Pentax camera. Only Pentax camera that needed shutter replacement was an old ist DL which had over million shutter actuations.

I live in Croatia, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/116-pentax-k-r/240121-unable-take-photos-lv.html
I had a classic case of mirror flop and shutter going of when pressing any button. It was the motor that was busted and could not run the cylces as fast as it should.
01-19-2014, 11:41 PM   #36
Inactive Account

Original Poster
surpringly

Strangely enough I did send a letter of complaint to David Cameron once (some years back and not about my camera!! ha!) and DID get a reply!!
01-20-2014, 03:17 AM   #37

Strangely enough I did send a letter of complaint to David Cameron once (some years back and not about my camera!! ha!) and DID get a reply!!
Grow up. It's out of warranty. Period.

01-20-2014, 10:06 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Can you explain what the mail was about? If it was about the costs being too high or asking for a warranty repair out of warranty I'm not surprised for the non-answer. Pentax licenses repair centers to take of that part of the business so they can focus on other things. If the cost and handling by the rapair centers are within what's asked of them it's not an issue for Pentax.
01-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As I always say, unless you're buying a hammer, don't buy anything you can't afford to fix. If you can't afford to fix it, and you're going to buy it anyway, then get the extended warranty. My first *ist failed and the extended warranty saved me $800.

Or as a Mercedes salesman once told me.. "If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it."
01-20-2014, 10:26 AM   #40
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
"If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it."
And he borrowed the quote from John Pierpoint Morgan (April 17, 1837 – March 31, 1913), an American financier, banker, philanthropist and art collector who dominated corporate finance and industrial consolidation during his time.
01-21-2014, 08:02 AM   #41
Inactive Account

Original Poster
last post on this

Look I don't expect an offer from Pentax MD to sleep with his wife or whatever. What I do expect is some sort of response so I can regain confidence in their level of commitment to their products. Before it went so badly wrong after so little useage I was going to buy more lenses and a big flashgun and so on. Now I am not sure what to do. I have dealt with many companies over the years and some sort of qenuine response explaining what they think may have happened here such as: 'This has never happened before with this model, must have been a Friday afternoon job, etc,' would go a long way. Had a problem with a Bosch product some while back and they responded immediately, accepted there was an issue with that model, offered me a new one at concessionary price and guess what? since then have bought lots more Bosch products. Bosch didn't file my letters in the 'round filing cabinet' such as Pentax clearly seem to do. I see on the net that other people have been treated the same too. Not good. OK that's last post. Over and out.
01-21-2014, 08:13 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look I don't expect an offer from Pentax MD to sleep with his wife or whatever. What I do expect is some sort of response so I can regain confidence in their level of commitment to their products. Before it went so badly wrong after so little useage I was going to buy more lenses and a big flashgun and so on. Now I am not sure what to do. I have dealt with many companies over the years and some sort of qenuine response explaining what they think may have happened here such as: 'This has never happened before with this model, must have been a Friday afternoon job, etc,' would go a long way. Had a problem with a Bosch product some while back and they responded immediately, accepted there was an issue with that model, offered me a new one at concessionary price and guess what? since then have bought lots more Bosch products. Bosch didn't file my letters in the 'round filing cabinet' such as Pentax clearly seem to do. I see on the net that other people have been treated the same too. Not good. OK that's last post. Over and out.
Too bad you don't live in Canada. Pentax Canada seem to do just fine at hand holding.
01-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #43
Site Supporter

Now I am not sure what to do.
You fix your out of warranty camera at your expense. It doesn't matter that you used it seldom. It's still out of warranty. Perhaps if it had been used on a regular basis, it would have failed during the warranty. Perhaps not.