Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #1

K-r or K10D?

Hi all

Looking for some collective wisdom reasonably quickly as I'm watching a couple of online auctions that are about to finish - trying to figure out which way to go.

First, let me say I'm a very new Pentax user, but a very 'old' photographer (Canon in the film days - Canon and Nikon digital).

I have the chance to put a new system together - (my Canon went for a 'swim'), and have already purchased a K10D. Only just arrived, so haven't had a chance to 'play' with it yet, but I love the feel/heft/solidity - and am impressed with the button placement and features for the money.

I want to get a second body to use in tandem / as a back-up to the K10D I already have, and am looking at two auctions at the moment - for another K10D (with grip and 18-55mm), or for a K-r with 18-55mm lens.

Should I get the K10D and have two bodies exactly the same, or go for the 'newer' K-r with some the extra features it offers?

What do I shoot? Great question :-) I am a Landscape photographer for enjoyment (and have had the occasional exhibition at local galleries), and shoot weddings as a part-time money earner (don't shoot many, but charge appropriately when I do). Obviously I would also photograph friends and family on the odd occasion - but my 'serious' work are the landscapes / weddings. For both styles I don't print anything larger than A3 - so am more than ok with 10MP. I'm also no speed freak, so 3fps is also ok (although more speed if / when required would also be ok with me - I do sometimes shoot local sporting events for fun).

For the landscape work I'm liking the weather sealing of the K10D - but for the wedding work would think that the higher ISO capabilities of the K-r might come in handy?

Is the K-r solid enough for a lot of regular use (or would it definitely be a back-up body)? Is there greater wisdom in having two identical bodies - especially for weddings when quick thinking is sometimes important?

Sorry for the confused ramblings. Hopefully someone can make some sense of it and help me out. Especially some K-r users who may have also had experience with the K10D?

Thanks in advance

03-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I suggest a k20d rather than K-r. K20d and K10d share battery/grip/placement of controls--will be less confusing/save money/etc. Also K20d likely to be cheaper than K-r.

If you are looking for a smaller camera then consider K-x/K-r.

K20d and K10d differ in the sensor--K10d is reputed to be better for low iso. K20d (I have this and K-x) better for higher iso (I am happy w/ it at iso 1600).
03-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
wax
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nzdigital Quote
Hi all

Looking for some collective wisdom reasonably quickly as I'm watching a couple of online auctions that are about to finish - trying to figure out which way to go.

First, let me say I'm a very new Pentax user, but a very 'old' photographer (Canon in the film days - Canon and Nikon digital).

I have the chance to put a new system together - (my Canon went for a 'swim'), and have already purchased a K10D. Only just arrived, so haven't had a chance to 'play' with it yet, but I love the feel/heft/solidity - and am impressed with the button placement and features for the money.

I want to get a second body to use in tandem / as a back-up to the K10D I already have, and am looking at two auctions at the moment - for another K10D (with grip and 18-55mm), or for a K-r with 18-55mm lens.

Should I get the K10D and have two bodies exactly the same, or go for the 'newer' K-r with some the extra features it offers?

What do I shoot? Great question :-) I am a Landscape photographer for enjoyment (and have had the occasional exhibition at local galleries), and shoot weddings as a part-time money earner (don't shoot many, but charge appropriately when I do). Obviously I would also photograph friends and family on the odd occasion - but my 'serious' work are the landscapes / weddings. For both styles I don't print anything larger than A3 - so am more than ok with 10MP. I'm also no speed freak, so 3fps is also ok (although more speed if / when required would also be ok with me - I do sometimes shoot local sporting events for fun).

For the landscape work I'm liking the weather sealing of the K10D - but for the wedding work would think that the higher ISO capabilities of the K-r might come in handy?

Is the K-r solid enough for a lot of regular use (or would it definitely be a back-up body)? Is there greater wisdom in having two identical bodies - especially for weddings when quick thinking is sometimes important?

Sorry for the confused ramblings. Hopefully someone can make some sense of it and help me out. Especially some K-r users who may have also had experience with the K10D?

Thanks in advance
kr r is fantastic camera, but be shure that is free of mirror flop issue. If not, better go for a second hand K-30.
03-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The K20D wasTERRIBLE high ISO, I wouldnt take mine above 800. I think the K-r is better with High iso.

03-09-2014, 08:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Which Two?

Hello nzdigital, Welcome to the Forum!
First off, I've never owned a K-R, so I'll just offer a few comments about the K10D. That particular body has many fans here, including myself. There's even a dedicated thread. I honestly believe it's one of the finest DSLR's Pentax has ever made.
Having said that, a body introduced in 2006 is going to have some very serious limitations in today's world. No LV, no video, 2-1/2" LCD, no HDR, 1/6000s top ss, 3fps, 100-1,600 ISO range (if that), five generations of SAFOX behind the K-X, etc. And the K10D was the flagship, state of the art.
It is a truly great-performing DSLR under a specific set of conditions. Scenics, portraits, macro, timed-exposures, landscapes and night photography, working with M/F lenses, black + white. The last, great CCD sensor in a body that's more like a tank, a digital K1000.
It isn't a rapid-fire sports, wildlife or candid shooter- too slow A/F, 3 fps, etc. I don't believe it's anywhere near an ideal wedding body, except as a 2nd body, perhaps with a couple of favorite primes. It just can't keep up as well (in performance) with quicker shooting situations as a newer body would. It's old.
For the # 1 body, I'd aim much higher, or newer. A used K-5 (any) would be ideal, imo. K-30, K-50 would work also, but no B/G available.
In any event, two K10D's would just double the limitations I've tried to point out.
Hope this helps!
Ron
03-09-2014, 09:26 PM   #6

Why not a used K30?

QuoteOriginally posted by wax Quote
kr r is fantastic camera, but be shure that is free of mirror flop issue. If not, better go for a second hand K-30.
I would suggest K30 too. Better high ISO compared to K10, is WR and have focus peaking. It also can use AA batteries with adapter. Unfortunately no external batt/hand grip.
03-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by nzdigital Quote
Hi all

Thanks in advance
I would go with the K-r from those two choices, but as others have said, the K-30 would be an even better choice. Much better image quality than the K10, K20, or K-r, and not for very much more.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have the K200D, which is similar to the K10D (same sensor), and got a K-r for my daughter (and had the similar K-x myself).

It sounds like you'll be spending a bit more down the road (lenses and body upgrades), so the choice may not be critical (since you can sell one and buy another).

I find it much easier to use my K-5 and K5 IIs at the same time (each with a BG), because the controls are the same. Using the K200D with one of them would sometimes be confusing when quickly changing bodies. So there's real benefit in having 2 of the same body.

The K-r is a good camera, and except for lack of ability to take a battery grip, it will do most every thing you need a camera to do for most shooting situations. Any bodies that came after it don't really do much better, except for special applications like sports, or places you want the quietest shutter sound possible. But if you haven't experienced good high-ISO performance yet, you should get a K-r (or later) soon.

I love the sensor in the K10D, and I think it's generally better for landscapes. It matches especially well with certain lenses. My hunch is you should get 2 of these, probably with a BG on each one. The look from its CCD sensor won't be duplicated any time soon, if ever. But there should also be plenty of these (and the K200D) available on the used market for some time to come, so you could also get one later if you prefer.

But the K-r is the better overall camera for most people. You won't go wrong with either one.
03-09-2014, 10:15 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
Go far K-r. I have this camera and it is a fantastic camera performance wise.
03-09-2014, 10:17 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-r wins hands down.....
04-30-2014, 04:56 AM   #11

For landscape work I think it's wise to consider the size and weight of each choice you listed. Yes, the K10D is weather sealed, but it is considerably larger and heavier.....something to think about esp. if hiking and doing landscapes. Also, don't forget that you would need a matched weather sealed lens to fully appreciate the value of the K10D's body. But I have never had an issue using the K-r in most conditions outdoors.

And as to your question about the K-r being solid enough.....well, that's subjective based on a reasonable degree of owner care. But even though it is not built like a tank (like the K10D) it still has a stainless steel chassis and feels substantial in the hand (esp. compared with similar bodies from Canikon from the same era).
04-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #12
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As regards the K-10d and K-r bodies--I have the K-20d and K-x so same bodies. Following are my thoughts/experience. Highly individual so you may want to mentally add IMO to every statement. I use them for theater photography, 3 season backpacking/canoeing. For winter backpacking I use film and I find WR option pretty useless (If I need it I take a Nikonos III as my "point and shoot.").

K20d (K10d) is heavy but reassuringly so. K-x (K-r) is lighter and smaller--but fiddly. Both cameras are capable--I think a lot depends on how important the feel of the camera is to you. Requiring AA battery in K-x (option in K-r) is great as lithium non-rechargeable are extremely long lasting. K-x ( and I believe K10d and K-r) do not allow exposure (e.v.) compensation in M mode- and K20d does have it.

K-x (K-r probably is same but I don't know for fact) you may need to use tape to hold the battery cover closed and hold the exposure mode dial in place if you wear it backpacking/hiking or in dark where you cannot glance and see what's what. I find the battery holder opens dumping batteries on ground and the mode dial has always moved after a while. Both in darkened theater, and hiking--but I often wear it high under my arm and usually reversed--so the top of the camera is against my body. But a camera (k-x) that cannot be relied on to be in the mode I set and to work when I press shutter is problematic.

I wear glasses and find I need an external optical finder w/ the K-x (I mostly use a 40 mm finder w/28mm or 35mm f/3.5 Takumar lens zone focused). So as a lightweight camera the K-x (K-r) is nicer but rather limiting.

Last edited by dms; 04-30-2014 at 11:22 AM.