Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2014, 10:04 PM   #1
Forum Member

Updating Kr firmware

Having problem updating firmware. Downloaded PC version of latest firmware but can't open downloaded files, says I am not authorized. Downloaded apple version and was able to extract files printed out read me file and downloaded the upgrade file to card. Followed instructions to turn camera on holding menu button and current load 1.0 appeared but a few seconds later the camera turned on rather than showing it was downloading the update. Don't ant to screw up a good copy of the Kr so trying to find out how to proceed.

04-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi there, me again . Did you extract the files to the root directory on the card? That is, straight to the memory card, not to a folder. If the files are in a folder the camera most likely won't see them.
04-02-2014, 10:37 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Hi there, me again . Did you extract the files to the root directory on the card? That is, straight to the memory card, not to a folder. If the files are in a folder the camera most likely won't see them.
Reformatted card using camera and that deleted all the photos and all that was left is a DCIM file that the Kr must put on when I reformatted. Can I just delete that file and then will it load to the root directory??
04-02-2014, 10:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I think the card needs to be blank for doing a firmware update. There should be two files you will copy to the card: a .bin file, and a readme.txt. Just copy them directly to the card & follow the instructions. Good luck.

04-02-2014, 11:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Leaving the DCIM folder on there won't hurt anything. I've even done upgrades with other files in there. Just make sure the .bin file is copied to the root, not into a folder.
04-03-2014, 12:02 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I think the card needs to be blank for doing a firmware update. There should be two files you will copy to the card: a .bin file, and a readme.txt. Just copy them directly to the card & follow the instructions. Good luck.
Did that but no joy. Show fwdc208b.bin is loaded on the card but the camera doesn't recognize it. After I tried and failed I checked the card and the Kr had added the DCIM folder which is where pictures are loaded. My guess is that if the Kr had recognized the update file fwdc208b.bin it would not have created the DCIM folder. Oh well try again tomorrow when my brain fog clears.

---------- Post added 04-03-2014 at 02:12 AM ----------

I am upgrading from firmware 1.0 using a Transcend 16 GB SDHC card. I seemed to remember the first upgrade called for using a SDXC card but I have taken 2000 shots using the SDHC card so I assume it can't be the issue here. Just know enough to be dangerous about doing this.
04-03-2014, 12:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Waiting until tomorrow is always the best idea at these times.

It always seems the biggest part to me is making sure the camera reacts to the button I'm holding down - sometimes I have had to try turning the camera on more that once for it to react (but again, it's better when you're not tired - makes it easier to think about what's actually going on).

If you can't get the camera to report the current firmware version as you turn it on when the SD card isn't in there, don't expect the firmware upgrade to ever work.
04-03-2014, 10:14 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Think I am awake enough to start over. I can't open the PC version of the upgrade. I am running Windows 7 and have never experienced this before. I can extract the upgrade from the MAC version and get the read me file and the fwdc208b.bin file loaded on the card. I successfully check current firmware version in camera as instructed. I load the card, hold the menu button down and turn on camera and the current firmware version is displayed then the camera boots up ready to use. The camera is not recognizing the upgrade file. My question then is it the same file as I would have gotten from the PC download if I could have opened it? I would think so. This is killing me as I have never had a problem with my Kr. I don't seem to have the focusing plaguing others but would like to upgrade the firmware.

04-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Problem solved. Still a little confused why I was unsuccessful earlier this morning but now have new firmware in place. Thanks again DSims and paulh for your help. My difficulty was in getting the extracted .bin file from the MAC download to the root file of the SDHC card. Had to extract from zipped MAC file to the card, Then opened that file giving me the read me file and the .bin file. and then deleted everything else on card leaving the .bin file only. VIOLA!!!!!!! Success.
04-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Great! Good to hear you got things sorted.
04-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Yes, I'm glad it worked.