Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2014, 12:33 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
big problems with relatively recent k-r

I have a K-r bought end 2011. No problems until this week end when suddenly the gear stopped to work.
It seems that the shutter is blocked. No matter which button I push the LCD scree blink and the same noise that the shuttering one, nothing else.
I didn't do anything strange, it could be q SW issue.
I called Pentax customer service, we reinitialised the camera but nothing changed.
It seems that the only solution is to send the camera at my charge to Ricoh for a technical analysis, minimum cost 50+ euro.
Is there someone that had the same problem, I cannot believe that after such a short period I have this problem, I was planning to upgrade to K5 or K3 but if this is the reliability of Pentax products I will move to another brand.

Do you believe that this kind on event is part of the risk of acquiring an high technology staff or you think that considering the price, even for an entry model, this reliability issue is not acceptable?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Franco

05-06-2014, 04:09 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Every brand has some cameras which develop problems, some even after a shorter period than your K-r. It's impossible that every camera ever made will never develop a fault.
Someone inevitably ends up with a camera that fails. That's just life. Moving to another brand won't fix your K-r, will it?
Personally after 2 years with the K-r (and how many shutter actuations?) I'd just move on to a K-50 and a nice lens rather than spending big on a K-3.
05-06-2014, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Has the camera been dropped, bumped, exposed to mist, kept in a moist or dusty environment etc. ? The camera shouldn't fail after 2,5 years but some do, and from every manufacturer.
05-06-2014, 06:09 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Every brand has some cameras which develop problems, some even after a shorter period than your K-r. It's impossible that every camera ever made will never develop a fault.
Someone inevitably ends up with a camera that fails. That's just life. Moving to another brand won't fix your K-r, will it?
Personally after 2 years with the K-r (and how many shutter actuations?) I'd just move on to a K-50 and a nice lens rather than spending big on a K-3.
Thanks Steve,

I see your point and I tent to agree, would you suggest to forget try to fix the issue and move to another model? I understand that economically should may be be not much more expensive but in principles I am not too much in favour.
In any case I understand you prefer the option less money on the gear and more on the lens. Do you know the K5II?

---------- Post added 05-06-14 at 03:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Has the camera been dropped, bumped, exposed to mist, kept in a moist or dusty environment etc. ? The camera shouldn't fail after 2,5 years but some do, and from every manufacturer.
no this is the strange think, it suddenly happened during a normal usage, the only think is that I was in continuous shot mode with RAW format.

05-06-2014, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like you have a bad battery or dirty battery terminals
05-06-2014, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Try to install a firmware update (if your camera already has the new one try an older version if it allows it). Except for that, I've got nothing.

Edit: Or maybe what Chromo said. Try cleaning the mount contacts too.
05-06-2014, 07:54 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
Sounds like you have a bad battery or dirty battery terminals
if this is the case I have two bad batteries and any other from market because I also tried with the adapter and mass batteries like duracell.
05-06-2014, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

From what you wrote the problem could be anywhere in the camera. The steps below might help determine whether the problem is within the camera processor, lens mount, mirror mechanism, shutter mechanism, or maybe if you're lucky just a defective lens.

When you turn on the camera, do the menus work, or is it bad as soon as you start the camera?

If things are bad as soon as you start the camera: Remove the lens and start the camera without any lens on it. Also start the camera with a different lens. How does the behavior change, if at all?

If the camera starts up and works until you press the shutter button: Does it happen on the half-press (focus) or full-press (shutter release)? Flip the camera into manual focus and see if behavior changes. What happens when you go into live view - do you still get the same error?

Try taking the memory card out and see what happens. I think the K-r will still "work" without a card but you obviously can't save photos.

05-06-2014, 09:14 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
From what you wrote the problem could be anywhere in the camera. The steps below might help determine whether the problem is within the camera processor, lens mount, mirror mechanism, shutter mechanism, or maybe if you're lucky just a defective lens.

When you turn on the camera, do the menus work, or is it bad as soon as you start the camera?

If things are bad as soon as you start the camera: Remove the lens and start the camera without any lens on it. Also start the camera with a different lens. How does the behavior change, if at all?

If the camera starts up and works until you press the shutter button: Does it happen on the half-press (focus) or full-press (shutter release)? Flip the camera into manual focus and see if behavior changes. What happens when you go into live view - do you still get the same error?

Try taking the memory card out and see what happens. I think the K-r will still "work" without a card but you obviously can't save photos.
Hi John,

first of all thanks for your time. Let answer step by step.
When I turn the camera on the menu in the LCD screen works but not the functions controlled by the buttons, shoot mode, flash, iso....
As soon as I switch on the shutter noise start and it repeats every time I touch a button.
If I change the battery or change the lens nothing change. Based on you input I also tried the function in the menu that open up the mirror for clean up, nothing again.
The interesting thing is that Iif I try live view the shutter noise start and doesn't stop, the first time even switching the camera off, the LCD screen remains on, I was obliged to take the battery off.
Last the memory card, I tried to take it off but nog-thing change.

---------- Post added 05-06-14 at 06:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Try to install a firmware update (if your camera already has the new one try an older version if it allows it). Except for that, I've got nothing.

Edit: Or maybe what Chromo said. Try cleaning the mount contacts too.
new firmware installed but nothing change
05-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by franco64 Quote
Thanks Steve,
I see your point and I tent to agree, would you suggest to forget try to fix the issue and move to another model? I understand that economically should may be be not much more expensive but in principles I am not too much in favour.
In your OP you commented;
"I was planning to upgrade to K5 or K3 "

Now you say you are not in favour of buying a new body. Which is it?

You have three options as I see it.
[1] Send the K-r away for repair and risk paying more than you really want to or find that it's economically irreparable therefore waste shipping costs and time.
[2] Move to another brand and pay lots more because you have to buy suitable lenses.
[3] Upgrade to a K-50 and save money as you already have lenses.

To me, logic suggests to cut your losses and buy a new body - I suggest the K-50
So ok, the K-r was a lemon [or there's something your not admitting to], it happens - but that doesn't suggest all other Pentax DSLR bodies are.
05-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #11

Original Poster
Steve you are may be right, OI will think about but was I was looking for is a gear with better features in terms of focus point and dynamic focus. May be the K5II
05-06-2014, 08:09 PM - 2 Likes   #12

Take the lens off and have a look at the position of the aperture actuator (the little block that slides on a vertical rail just inside the lens mount). If it's stuck at the top of its range of travel, give it a gentle nudge to see if you can get it to return to its usual resting position.

I had a similar problem with my K-r about 6 months ago. It turned out that one of my lenses had a slightly bent aperture lever which was causing the actuator in the camera to get stuck. When stuck the camera would power on and the screen display was normal but pressing any button would result in the mirror flipping and the screen blinking. After sliding the mechanism in the camera back down and straightening the lever on the back of the problem lens, the problem has never come back.
05-07-2014, 12:28 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Suzhouren Quote
Take the lens off and have a look at the position of the aperture actuator (the little block that slides on a vertical rail just inside the lens mount). If it's stuck at the top of its range of travel, give it a gentle nudge to see if you can get it to return to its usual resting position.

I had a similar problem with my K-r about 6 months ago. It turned out that one of my lenses had a slightly bent aperture lever which was causing the actuator in the camera to get stuck. When stuck the camera would power on and the screen display was normal but pressing any button would result in the mirror flipping and the screen blinking. After sliding the mechanism in the camera back down and straightening the lever on the back of the problem lens, the problem has never come back.
it works, many many many thanks, you let me save a lot of money and time.
Actually I discovered that the problem comes when I chose the "continues shooting" but know I know how to fix it, nevertheless it is an additional reason to upgrade my gear.