Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2014, 08:57 AM   #1

Interval mode running, but most pics missing

Hi,

I have a Pentax K-r. I got it for the interval functionality and have had great fun doing timelapse spanning many hours. However, I now find that for some interval settings (and I'm still testing) I only get a few images before the camera stops taking pics, even though it reports it is still counting down.

Specifically, with a fully charged battery and empty memory card I am trying intervals of 7 min 12 sec (which is hopefully 1000 shots over 5 days). The camera is set to manual: f5.0, 1/8s, iso 200, manual focus.

I leave it to run for several hours. When I come back I lightly touch the shutter release to get the menu up, it fires off one picture then displays that it is in interval mode and has taken (for example) 30 pics. However, when I come out of interval mode and look at the pics there are only 4, one of which is the one that fired when I lightly touched the shutter release

I have tested it a bit with a fully charged battery and empty memory card, and every time with 7 min 12 sec interval setting it only takes 3 pics automatically, even though it reports (after leaving for several hours!) that it has taken the amount I expect.

I have just tested 1 min intervals and that ran OK for 2 hours and all pics were fine. It seems to be the longer intervals it has trouble with.

Background - I upgraded to the latest firmware about a month ago (April 2014). To start with the interval mode worked as expected. But not now.

Absolutely any help greatly appreciated - I was hoping to do a time lapse for work that lasts for 5 days, but I'm having to let them down.

Cheers, Jon

05-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
Pentaxian

It was working okay but then stopped after a firmware update. I wonder if the firmware change allows the auto power-off to activate during the delay between shots and the intervalometer is unable to wake the sleeping camera. Try disabling the power timeout feature and see if/how the behavior changes. Leaving the camera fully on for 5 days might drain the battery so turn off the LCD to maximize battery life.
05-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply DeadJohn,

I will take a look at the auto power-off settings and get back to you.

I appreciate that I won't be able to run it for 5 days on one battery - I'll use an ac adapter I've just ordered.

Thanks, Jon
05-21-2014, 05:22 AM   #4

Original Poster
It looks like your idea has fixed my problem - brilliant.

The 'Auto Power Off' was set to 3 minutes. I changed it to 'Off'. I have now managed to leave the camera running on interval mode for 2.5 hours using the interval and exposure settings I was having trouble with (see start of thread). I checked the pictures and there were 21 images as expected.

I will try running it for longer, but the problem I was seeing before has gone away and I'm very pleased.

Thanks very much DeadJohn