Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2014, 09:16 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-r battery reading incorrect?

Hey guys,

I have a Pentax K-r that I've had for 3 weeks now and I'm loving it. The only "issue" I have is that the battery meter reads incorrectly. When I use to the stock battery, it seems to read correct for the most part but when it shows as red, I turn the camera off and then on and it'll be on yellow for quite some time. When I use the double AA batteries, it'll jump from green to yellow, to red within 2 hours...but I'll be able to live off the batteries for quite some time (almost double the stock battery).

I was wondering if this was normal, or something I should be concerned about?

Thanks for reading.

Edit: BTW the battery holder I'm using isn't the one made by Pentax...I got it off ebay for 4 dollars though I can't imagine it being an issue...

05-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This sounds normal. Battery voltage can fluctuate for various reasons, and different batteries work differently. AA's typically have lower voltage than the rechargeable battery, so that can lead to lower battery readings.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-22-2014, 12:58 AM   #3
G.T
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
From experience, the K-r seems a bit picky about rechargeable AA batteries, too, so my advice would be to test another set of batteries. I have a batch (set of 4) cheap, low capacity, and even if they are fully charged, my K-r does even not turn on, or says "batteries discharged".
05-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Glad to hear it's not a serious issue, thank you for the replies guys!

01-02-2015, 02:01 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know this thread is a little old, but it's worth providing this information to anyone interested.

If you're using good quality rechargeable batteries you shouldn't have much trouble using the K-r, though you are likely to experience oddities with the battery indicator as you have found. But anyone using rechargeable batteries can also do themselves a huge favour by buying a good intelligent charger. Now the product I am going to link to is not the only quality intelligent charger, nor the one I'd recommend (there's a later version of the same product that is better as well as cheaper), but it gives an idea of the kind of thing that helps you to utilise rechargeable batteries properly. Most cheap chargers can't charge batteries individually, so one dud in a set of four won't be obvious, and they don't really detect overcharging and other things that can shorten the lifespan of a battery. With most chargers you will be lucky to get 200-300 charges out of a set of AA batteries, with a decent charger you can get 500-1500 charges out of the same batteries before they finally die.

Try this page in the reviews section for an idea of the sort of charger I am suggesting. It really will help to improve the life and performance of even the best batteries if you get a decent charger.