Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2014, 05:03 PM   #1
Pentaxian

So long dear little K-r, I will miss you

Well, after two and a half years, roughly 20,000 pictures and a hell of a lot of fun, I am parting with my trusty K-r... It just sold on FleeBay

I had made a deal that two of my DSLR had to go if I ever bought a K3. I tried to push the dead line as much as I could but it was inevitable.

It was my first true DSLR, the one on which I had (re)learnt the art of photography, the one that traveled the world with me, taking pictures in so many countries, the one that took pictures of Chernobyl, the French Alps, New-Zealand, and a few US National Parks. The one that was on the passenger seat on every road trips. The one that took so many pictures of Mike W. (my dog) and the many critters around the house. The one that was always loaded and ready to go on the corner of my desk.

This little guy will always be special to me, truly I'm gonna miss it.

Now you'll have a new home, down south. I hope that your new owner will cherish you and enjoy you as much as I did and that he'll use you more than I did in the last few months.

Good bye little K-r, and keep on clicking

And just to remember, here is the first and the last picture that we've taken together.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
07-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Congrats on the acquisition of a K-3 (or future K-3 if you haven't gotten it yet). You won't miss the k-r too much after you get your hands on your new K-3. I started out with the k-x (my first dslr) and finally parted with it when the K-3 came out (I too had almost 20,000 clicks with it). Both are great starter cameras before delving into bigger and bolder endeavors. Maybe the new owner is just starting out and will be drawn into the Pentax world as well.
07-15-2014, 06:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What's an Aussie cattle dog doing so far from home?

Luckily I was able to keep my Kx when I upgraded to the K5. It's great as a back up. And not only does it take fantastic photos but it's so small and light. It's no bigger than the Lumix G2 which was mirrorless. Pentax entry level always punches above its weight.
07-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't know if I could part with my K-r. I can't get over how compact, but powerful it is when compared to the K-3. It is always there for when I am on the go. Perfect companion for the Ltds.

Alas, my condolences on your loss of a good friend.

07-15-2014, 08:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I got over the compactness of my k-x with the purchase of the K-01. The K-01 with the 21mm or 40mm Limited is the perfect compact combo. Especially for family affairs
(and kids), less intimidating and easier for others to use so there's the occasional chance that I will actually be in a photo from time to time. It's unfortunate that they discontinued it.
07-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
haha, as I can see, the K-r has been a "gateway" camera for more than just me

Asides missing a second control wheel, it's a very good camera IMO. But it has been getting less and less use as my addiction grew worse... First the K-r, then a year later a K5, then 6 months later a K7 was on the marketplace for cheap, and then a Q. A couple months ago I got my K3. Now the K3 gets most of the use, with the K5 as a backup and the K7 not doing much (it'll be on sale soon btw) and the Q is pretty much always with me... The K-r was on the shelf not getting used at all. I have too many, some have to go. The K-r was first only because it was in better physical shape than the K7

Also, I was informed by the better half that Mike W. would have a full time room mate if I didn't follow up on my promise of keeping only two bodies.

Little does she knows that the $$$ coming from the K-r will more than likely be put towards my other addiction ... LBA. But so far, lenses are under the radar.

I just found it funny yesterday when I was feeling kinda sad as I was cleaning it up and packing it up. I have a few SLRs that have been with me for much longer, but the little K-r is the one that made me fall in love with photography again. It'll always be special.

---------- Post added 07-16-14 at 11:22 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
What's an Aussie cattle dog doing so far from home?
He's bipolar and way too crazy, Australia won't take it back
07-16-2014, 03:45 PM   #7

I'm just on the way to DigiDirect to pick up my brand new K3. What am I going to do with my Kr? Also my first dSLR, it's been a superb little camera, and I'm sure I'll miss it .

Part of me wants to keep it as a 2nd body "just in case", and part of me thinks perhaps I could keep it for the wife to learn basic photography, but realistically I would guess that once I got my hands on the K3 it would probably get shelved into a dusty corner if I kept it...
07-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Let your wife learn photography with the K-r. She will have a blast. Let her experiment on her own if she wants. And tell her that after about 500–1000 shots, there will be a huge improvement due to the practice.

07-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timmijo Quote
Let your wife learn photography with the K-r. She will have a blast. Let her experiment on her own if she wants.
Lady of the house already has a t4i and when she's not happy with it, she gladly use my K3 or my K5. And she just love the Q.

I would have love to pass on my Kr but no one around me wanted or needed it... even for free... Canikony brainwashing is intense in my neck of the woods.
07-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Canon T4i vs Pentax K-r - Our Analysis

The K-r wins the contest.
Let me know if you ever want to sell it.