Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2014, 01:37 PM   #1

Where can i find a course for taking pictures with the K-r?

Hi
I would like to operate in a good way my camera, but i have not found any tutorial using the K-r.
Is there one you know?
Can you recommend me at least a link using a pentax camera taking photos in multiple scenarios?
Thanks for your time and interest.

07-29-2014, 01:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

not to sound like a jerk, but take a class on basic photography and then read your instruction manual to learn to operate that camera.

Most DSLR basic operation isn't vastly different apart from some menu setting. I just switched from Canon to Pentax and have had no trouble learning the controls.
07-29-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,
I recently moved back to the USA from Santiago. If that's where you reside, there's a digital camera club that you can find thru Internations (I unsubscribed when I moved, otherwise I could find you a link). They do photography walks in Sanitago almost every weekend with the idea of helping folk learn to use their DSLR's better. All DSLR's work pretty much the same so they could help even if they aren't Pentax shooters. Just might have to search a little in menus to find certain things as menu layouts will differ.
07-29-2014, 03:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Its a camera.

Cameras are very simple, you have a sensor, and a lens, an aperture, and a shutter.

The camera will control the exposure and the focus, all you have to control is what you point it at.

Leave it on JPG setting, Leave it on fully auto exposure setting, leave it on autofocus setting.

Now consider, if you can read my words you are connected to the single most comprehensive library known to man, it holds thousands of documents that instruct you to use a camera. Its called the internet. Browse for articles that explain about composition and how to use a camera.

After you can produce good looking photographs on all automatic, you can begin to take control. Set the camera for aperture priority auto exposure. Then follow instructions on the internet on using aperture priority mode. When you can produce satisfying images in this mode, set the camera to shutter priority auto exposure and browse for instructions on using that mode. You should now have an understanding of what those two modes offer and why you would chose one or other of them.

When you can produce satisfying images in both aperture priority and shutter priority modes, select fully manual where you finally take full control of exposure.

The guiding principle here is to work from allowing the camera full control of everything and you simply compose the image until you can compose and take pleasing images. And you end up in stages at being totally in charge.

Because you do it carefully and gradually, you learn all about taking pictures on the journey, in easy to digest steps.

It wont take long there will be mistakes and surprising results. But you will love the journey.

Don't forget that a digital camera lets you take hundreds of experimental images every day at no cost other than your time. So just play, point it at the cat the sofa the car the garden anything and play and play and have a good laugh at the results, deleting the poor shots and keep the interesting ones.

I do the exact same thing when I pick up a new camera, I play and play until I am familiar with all the modes and take good images.

Don't forget read the manual and try out the things it suggests, its your bible for the camera read it from end to end, then read it again from end to end, then read it again from end to end. After the third time you read it from end to end, you will begin to understand the things in it that just didn't make any sense the first few times you read them.

And finally, after all this, you will be ready to buy a good book, and you will by then be a competent photographer that will get real benefit from the book you choose, and you will know enough to be able to choose the right book for you.

Last edited by Imageman; 07-29-2014 at 03:59 PM.
07-29-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The best course you can get came with your camera at no extra charge.

It is called an "Owner's Manual".

Put it in a Zip Lock bag and keep it in your camera bag. Need a lesson on a specific photography subject and your camera?

Unzip the Zip Lock.

Mickey

P.S. Mine goes with me wherever I go. I have been taking pictures for over 60 years.
07-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a pretty good one located here...
07-29-2014, 09:58 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Try Pentax K-x & K-r e-book

I have the K-30 title, which is merely 'okay'.