Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by degnann Quote
any reason why you say this ?
Speaking as a photographer who struggles to make the rent and my student loan payments I think the advice here is sound, and I get why it's being said, but if you truly love it and want to do it ignore it and do it anyway. Biggest mistake I ever made was going back to college to do this. I really wish I had not. I wish I had just learned on my own and/or with a mentor as I ended up doing anyway. Too much debt and a degree was not all that helpful for photography or design. You will struggle if you do this, unless you do nothing but weddings, in which case liability and stress issues aside, you will probably make a decent living at it. Personally I'd rather do this than make more money doing something I hate. Life is way too short to work at something you loathe.

08-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
With all due respect, I see lots of yellow and red flags here.

I'd recommend you don't spend a penny more on photographic equipment, especially if you don't generate any income. I believe you should focus your energy on developing an eye for shooting. You can improve upon your oeuvre with the equipment you've already paid for.

M
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Well, there are some things that are just a need - like a good quality flash like what he is thinking on getting.

And upgrading that kit lens to a better standard zoom is also going to help.

Still, that 35/2.4 lens on the K-r should be giving you high quality shots. You should be out there every single day shooting something, if possible.
With all due respect I don't see any flags. I don't think any photographer wants to use kit lens. The money I will be using to get a flash and 17-70 is my income.

I don't generate paid jobs because I feel like I am restricted with equipment but once I improve with what I have , I will also have more confidence to shoot more things.

I should be out everyday shooting and in all honesty I am lazy and I am aware of this. Once I am out though I love shooting.

I appreciate everyone's comments. I think I am getting the 17-70 and a pentax flash or a metz if they do HSS
08-06-2014, 03:33 PM   #33
Brooke Meyer

The only restrictions you have are self imposed. Go take some chances with the gear you have. Someone will get some good photographs they wouldn't have any other way and you'll have slain the monsters that really weren't there.
08-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Speaking as a photographer who struggles to make the rent and my student loan payments I think the advice here is sound, and I get why it's being said, but if you truly love it and want to do it ignore it and do it anyway. Biggest mistake I ever made was going back to college to do this. I really wish I had not. I wish I had just learned on my own and/or with a mentor as I ended up doing anyway. Too much debt and a degree was not all that helpful for photography or design. You will struggle if you do this, unless you do nothing but weddings, in which case liability and stress issues aside, you will probably make a decent living at it. Personally I'd rather do this than make more money doing something I hate. Life is way too short to work at something you loathe.
True that. Worked in retail for 4 year and hated it. the public.

08-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Looking at what you want I'd almost say go ahead and get the K5IIs and DA 18-135 WR as a kit. Toss in a Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 if you can based on how they do your loans and financing over there.
08-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I feel like my equipment I have is holding me back, but I am aware that I won't get anywhere unless I do start doing shoots , it's hard to find paid work anywhere nowadays.
I don't buy that, this is one of my best selling images, don't remember the rank but in top 10 anyway: A Bulk Freighter Travels Through The Panama Canal Under Stormy Skies Stock Photo 96147161 : Shutterstock taken with a k-x and the FA 28-90 lens, which is certainly not the sharpest tool in the box. Gear might make the job easier but it does not hold you back.

Paid work does not mean only weddings or portraits. Especially if you are going to school, take a look at shooting stock. Great way to hone your skills make some side money and learn the business. Most of the money is in model shoots which I hate to do. So I shoot boring stuff and still do OK.
Worked in retail for 4 year and hated it. the public.
Not good if you intend a career in photography, getting gigs is as much selling yourself as the quality of your work. You have to be continually working your contacts, making friends, looking for work.

I should be out everyday shooting and in all honesty I am lazy and I am aware of this.
Hmm, I hope you are joking. A working photographer needs to hit the ground running every morning, either working or looking for work. Running your own business is 7 days a week. Unless you can get on with someone with a 9-5 gig.

I think I am getting the 17-70 and a pentax flash or a metz if they do HSS
Sounds like a plan, good luck. You should have a good lens and flash that will still work with a new body when you eventually upgrade. I think this thread veered into "life advice" instead of "lens advice" but hopefully you got something out of it. Lots of people posting here that have been there and done that so plenty to learn if you want.
08-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

Paid work does not mean only weddings or portraits. Especially if you are going to school, take a look at shooting stock. Great way to hone your skills make some side money and learn the business. Most of the money is in model shoots which I hate to do. So I shoot boring stuff and still do OK.

Stock is actually one of my classes in this year coming so I shall see how that goes. I appreciate everyones comments.