Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2014, 07:22 AM   #1

New Camera or New Glass ?

I'm not even sure if this is the best place to put this but as I currently on a KR it shall go here.

Also I feel like all I do is ask questions on here, you guys will be glad I don't post a lot.

Anyhoo as of right now I currently shoot with a K-R with a 18-55, 35mm 2.4 and 50-200.

I will be going back to college in a few weeks and my first payment is a big payment so I am looking to expand my pentax equipment but my question is should I go for a new camera or just expand on lenses. Now I am aware this is all subject to what I shoot, what I would need out of the equipment but lets talk for general sake here.

I was looking at potentially getting a K5II with an 18-135 lens and then possibly buying a 10-17 or just a 50 1.8.

or should I just keep the KR but get more lenses and a pentax flash that has TTL and HSS. I know the K5 is weather sealed which is a huge advantage but then again how much do I shoot in extreme weather ? but on the flip side having it weather sealed would give me that option eh.

Apologies for the rant, but if you had the cash what would you guys do ?

Appreciate it.

08-05-2014, 07:32 AM   #2
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by degnann Quote
I'm not even sure if this is the best place to put this but as I currently on a KR it shall go here.

Also I feel like all I do is ask questions on here, you guys will be glad I don't post a lot.

Anyhoo as of right now I currently shoot with a K-R with a 18-55, 35mm 2.4 and 50-200.

I will be going back to college in a few weeks and my first payment is a big payment so I am looking to expand my pentax equipment but my question is should I go for a new camera or just expand on lenses. Now I am aware this is all subject to what I shoot, what I would need out of the equipment but lets talk for general sake here.

I was looking at potentially getting a K5II with an 18-135 lens and then possibly buying a 10-17 or just a 50 1.8.

or should I just keep the KR but get more lenses and a pentax flash that has TTL and HSS. I know the K5 is weather sealed which is a huge advantage but then again how much do I shoot in extreme weather ? but on the flip side having it weather sealed would give me that option eh.

Apologies for the rant, but if you had the cash what would you guys do ?

Appreciate it.
Stick with your camera; buy vintage glass. The 43mm 1.9 would be a nice addition.
08-05-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Everyone has an opinion and only you can actually know what your priorities are.

If it were me I would sell the k-r and the 18-55 and get the K-5II and 18-135. The 18-135 is a better lens, with WR and more focal range. The camera is a big step up in nearly all areas. Keep the 35mm and either keep or sell the 50-200 depending on if you think you need the 135 - 200 range enough to keep it.

On the other hand if I were still in college and facing a big bill, I would not be buying any new camera gear unless needed for school or I was making money with it. But only you know your economic situation.
08-05-2014, 07:38 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If it's either/or, then glass.

What doesn't the K-R do for you that a K5, K5II or K3 will?

08-05-2014, 07:41 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd say that cameras come and go. If you think that KR is holding you back and you need something to go for K5II, then yes. But good lenses does also give for you an edge. New opportunities. And they really hold value unlike cameras.

I'd use that money for premium lenses instead. That FE10-17 seemsto be great idea and also inexpensive 50/1.8 to have fun with it and then maybe some limiteds. If you like primes.

If you'd like to upgrade your zoom, then that 18-135 seems like good idea. Or even DA*16-50 or 50-135. Depending what you like to shoot...
Good lenses are good investments for hobby.

Just my 2cents.
08-05-2014, 08:06 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glass for sure.

If you are a photography student, you should think about the future when consumer zooms will no longer suit your needs. Start filling your collection with constant max aperture lenses, primes or zooms, but no variable apertures, especially if you're going to be doing studio photography. There's nothing more frustrating than setting up your lights, metering, and then finding out in post that zooming your lens has changed your exposure.
08-05-2014, 08:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Depending on how much you have to spend I'd get the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 since it is like having a bag of primes in one lens. Of course the K5II will be quite a step up from what you have, and the 18-135 is one of my favorite lenses. If I were going from where you are to a new body I'd got for a K5IIs and the 18-135, then sell the Kr and 18-55 and 50-200, then possibly get something longer.

08-05-2014, 08:38 AM   #8

Original Poster
Appreciate it everybody replying.

I will be getting the camera on finance with the glass so the money really isn't too much of an issue.

The KR isn't holding me back but I feel the K5 would last me much longer once I am finished college. While I am at college I have access to canon' and every focal length available but I would rather have my own equipment to shoot with.

I priced selling the KR with the lenses excl the 35mm and think I would get about 140 for that.

I think I potentially have my heart set on the K5, 18-135 and the 100-17 just so I have the focal lengths I would probably need covered.

Decisions , decisions.
08-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Appreciate it everybody replying.

I will be getting the camera on finance with the glass so the money really isn't too much of an issue.

The KR isn't holding me back but I feel the K5 would last me much longer once I am finished college. While I am at college I have access to canon' and every focal length available but I would rather have my own equipment to shoot with.

I priced selling the KR with the lenses excl the 35mm and think I would get about 140 for that.

I think I potentially have my heart set on the K5, 18-135 and the 100-17 just so I have the focal lengths I would probably need covered.

Decisions , decisions.
I'd say that Kr kit here should get you 300-350 in the Marketplace as a kit.
08-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I'd say that Kr kit here should get you 300-350 in the Marketplace as a kit.
you reckon ? might be worth while listing it then.
08-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #11
Pentaxian

US $'s or UK £'s?
08-05-2014, 08:51 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Yep, I would think that the Kr with the 18-55 and 50-200 should go for that. Of course if you want to sell that kit for 140 I will do that right now via paypal! I'd give it to a friend.
08-05-2014, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hear you about longevity with the camera, but why not use the Kr till it craps out or it truly is holding you back? Glass will last a lifetime, but my bet is that if you buy the K5 now, you'll wind up upgrading again when you're out of school and earning, and by then you'll likely have other, better options.
08-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
US $'s or UK £'s?
UK £

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Yep, I would think that the Kr with the 18-55 and 50-200 should go for that. Of course if you want to sell that kit for 140 I will do that right now via paypal! I'd give it to a friend.
Aha not if you think I could make that from it.

QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
I hear you about longevity with the camera, but why not use the Kr till it craps out or it truly is holding you back? Glass will last a lifetime, but my bet is that if you buy the K5 now, you'll wind up upgrading again when you're out of school and earning, and by then you'll likely have other, better options.
Hmm that makes sense yes. I think I may just buy an 18-135 and either buy a metz flash that has TTL or go for the Pentax AF360. Not sure what other kind of lens I would want.
08-05-2014, 09:06 AM   #15
Site Supporter

UK £

Aha not if you think I could make that from it.

Hmm that makes sense yes. I think I may just buy an 18-135 and either buy a metz flash that has TTL or go for the Pentax AF360. Not sure what other kind of lens I would want.
You're in the right place if you want people to help you spend money. If you like long then the Sigma 150-500 is great. The Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 is great in low light. The Tamron 70-200 is also quite nice, fast, and sharp. The Pentax 55-300 is the best budget lens in that range. If you can get a Sigma 8-16 that will open up a world of wide to you, though the Tamron 10-24 is also quite nice and much cheaper. Any of the Pentax limited lenses will make a nice and compact kit.