Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by degnann Quote
The KR isn't holding me back but I feel the K5 would last me much longer once I am finished college.
Nope. By then there will be a new K-36xyz that makes the K-5 look like an antique. Camera bodies come and go as someone noted above. If you need the capability of the k-5II NOW fine, but do not spend money on a camera body because you might need it in the future. Especially years in the future. Glass lasts longer and can (if bought at the right price) be considered an investment, but not bodies.

What is your intent for photography? Are you intending this to be your profession or just a hobby? Buying on finance for a hobby while still in school might not be the best idea. I have a number of friends (actually my son's friends) that have graduated recently, gotten good jobs but are struggling to pay off college loans. I have no idea what your situation is but do not dig the hole any deeper than you have to. Plenty of time to spend money when you have it. Just my opinion.

08-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Nope. By then there will be a new K-36xyz that makes the K-5 look like an antique. Camera bodies come and go as someone noted above. If you need the capability of the k-5II NOW fine, but do not spend money on a camera body because you might need it in the future. Especially years in the future. Glass lasts longer and can (if bought at the right price) be considered an investment, but not bodies.

What is your intent for photography? Are you intending this to be your profession or just a hobby? Buying on finance for a hobby while still in school might not be the best idea. I have a number of friends (actually my son's friends) that have graduated recently, gotten good jobs but are struggling to pay off college loans. I have no idea what your situation is but do not dig the hole any deeper than you have to. Plenty of time to spend money when you have it. Just my opinion.
That makes sense too. I'm hoping for it to be my profession. This will be my 3rd year studying it and will hopefully go on to uni. I don't know how the loans work elsewhere but we only pay back our loans when we earn like 16000 a year and then it's only a fraction of the monthly wages.

One of the reasons I was considering getting the K5 was this may be one of the only times I can afford to get a new body.
08-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I think that the Kr (and Kx) were a pretty significant jump in capability when they were introduced, and are still very capable by current standards, so I would probably stick with it for now, especially if you don't feel limited by it. Just my 2 cents.
08-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #19
Brooke Meyer

That makes sense too. I'm hoping for it to be my profession. This will be my 3rd year studying it and will hopefully go on to uni. I don't know how the loans work elsewhere but we only pay back our loans when we earn like 16000 a year and then it's only a fraction of the monthly wages.

One of the reasons I was considering getting the K5 was this may be one of the only times I can afford to get a new body.
If this is your 3rd year studying photography and you're not able to earn at least the cost of the camera with photography, you might want to reevaluate considering it as a career.

FYI, student loans in the US are not so favorable and are never forgiven.

08-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #20
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Anyhoo as of right now I currently shoot with a K-R with a 18-55, 35mm 2.4 and 50-200.

I was looking at potentially getting a K5II with an 18-135 lens and then possibly buying a 10-17 or just a 50 1.8.

or should I just keep the KR but get more lenses and a pentax flash that has TTL and HSS. I know the K5 is weather sealed which is a huge advantage but then again how much do I shoot in extreme weather ? but on the flip side having it weather sealed would give me that option eh.
Lots of different questions.

On the camera's:
Pentax K-5 II versus Pentax K-30 versus Pentax Kr - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark

I put in the K-30, but the K-50 is the same.You can see that there is an advantage in sensorperformance going from K-r to the 16 megapixel sensor and K-5(IIs) are just a little bit better then the one in K-30/K-50/K-01. That may be from the PRIME M processor or the 12-bit/14-bit processing.

If video is not that important then the K-30 is for sure your best deal to get. The 18-135mm is the lens you best buy in a deal with camerabody, since it is cheaper then. Just look around what is available.

Sell the things you don't need and just make a choice in what to keep. If you take the 18-135mm, then just sell 18-55/50-200 since they will stay at home unused.

Depending n the things you like then I would look around for the 10-17mm fish-eye on the second hand market. The lens is special, expensive and some people buy it to discover it is not their thing.
08-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I think a lens like a DA 17-70mm f4 will make your pics look more professional than the 18-135. Let's just say that you don't see a whole lot of pros using a superzoom...

Then add a DA 50 1.8 for portraits, and keep that 35 2.4 - don't sell it. Everybody needs a normal view prime, as I'm sure you know by now. Spend the rest on lights and modifiers.

Then once you make that K-r earn you some money on weekends, you'll be able to get a K-5 and keep the K-r as a 2nd body.
08-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #22

Original Poster
I think I have been convinced to buy better glass rather than a new body. Will have a look at the 17-70. I potentially could get another lens but think I might get a flash instead.

08-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #23
Veteran Member

You can get decent glass and bodies fairly cheaply used at Amazon, B&H, Adorama, and KEH. Honestly I'd do a bit of both. Buy used and get yourself a decent used lens and a used backup body. I know a lot of people would disagree with me and tell you just to live with your current body and to get more glass, but having actually managed to kill two DSLR's now, an *ist DL and a K-x respectively, I've gotten to the point where I think having a second body maybe isn't just a luxury. K-30's can be had for well under $400 now, K-r's for less than $300. That plus a $200 used lens would not set you back all that much and you'd have the benefit of a backup body as well.

People look at my kit and they go "Wow!" but what they don't realize is that I'm thrifty as heck, very careful about what I buy, and I rarely buy new, unless there's one great sale going on. That's how I have been able to afford the kit I have. When I began collecting I figured out I could either go out and drop $1000 on one lens and another $1000 on a body OR I could live with used equipment and have 5X the gear for that same amount. Over the years I think I have spent that 2K, probably more like 2.5K at this point now actually given the recent purchase of a K-30, but you should see all the good stuff I've acquired with that 2.5K over the last decade or so.

You don't need the newest and most expensive lenses out there to make excellent photos. There are plenty of good alternatives to the DA* limited lenses. Many of them can be found used at half of what they cost new. Do your homework and buy used and you can have it both ways. New glass and a new body, and you won't break the bank. FYI, my K-30 was like $325 plus $15 to ship Fedexp. I got the two WR lenses for like $225, with free shipping, I think it was, so my total on that kit was like $550 for all of it and my camera is the ruby red model, which I like a lot.

In the year or more that I was looking I saw a WR 2 lens kit/K-30 body pair for under $600 maybe twice and it was always black. Colored/WR combos, $700 and up mostly so I saved a fair bit by being patient and buying used. I didn't get the 18-135mm out of it, still a regret, but I got close enough in terms of my needs and got the body I truly coveted and some decent WR glass for a price that did not kill my wallet...
08-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
If this is your 3rd year studying photography and you're not able to earn at least the cost of the camera with photography, you might want to reevaluate considering it as a career.

FYI, student loans in the US are not so favorable and are never forgiven.
any reason why you say this ?

---------- Post added 08-05-14 at 08:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Snip Snip
I was considering buying used as that means I wouldn't have to pay monthly with finance but wasn't sure if I'd get the same use out of used since I don't know where it has been
08-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #25
Brooke Meyer

I think I have been convinced to buy better glass rather than a new body. Will have a look at the 17-70. I potentially could get another lens but think I might get a flash instead.
You can do quite a lot with the 17-70 and a single flash

---------- Post added 08-05-14 at 04:12 PM ----------

any reason why you say this ?
If you have the drive to earn a living as a photographer and you've had two years of studies, you ought to be looking for some paid photography work, even if its modest. Head shots and portraits can be done with window and foam board reflector. Besides the money, you need to just go do it and find out if its what you really want. It won't magically happen upon graduation. And you'll discover if you can sell yourself which is what a professional photographer does, regardless of geography.

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 08-05-2014 at 01:13 PM.
08-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I will be getting the camera on finance with the glass so the money really isn't too much of an issue.
Not to be one to advise...but that kind of thinking will make you poor. If you don't have the cash, and it's not life or death, don't buy it.
08-05-2014, 08:13 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was considering buying used as that means I wouldn't have to pay monthly with finance but wasn't sure if I'd get the same use out of used since I don't know where it has been
I have far more lenses than I would care to admit. I've only bought three new. And two of those have gone in for repair. Statistically I have had far better luck with used than new. And buying used takes the "instant depreciation" out of the equation. Nearly all of the used lenses I have bought are worth more or at least the same as what I paid for them.

That said buying used is not without peril, you do need to have good sense and examine things carefully. Or buy from a reputable dealer like KEH.

---------- Post added 08-05-14 at 08:24 PM ----------

If you have the drive to earn a living as a photographer and you've had two years of studies, you ought to be looking for some paid photography work, even if its modest.
I would also agree with this. But I do not know your schedule. My son is in university studying for his masters and has zero extra time, maybe you have none either. But if you have even 10 hours a week you could easily earn enough to pay for all the gear you want. Except for the initial k-x and kit lens years ago all my gear has been paid for with money earned by photography.

And if you intend it to be your career my advice is do not wait to finish school to start, you should be learning the business, putting together a portfolio, getting to know people in the industry, making contacts. Then when you have graduated you are not starting cold but already have your foot in the door and have contacts who will help you.

Take a look here: lijahwinter My wife met this young man at a craft fair, he was selling his photographs. At the time I think he was 17.
08-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #28

Original Poster
You can do quite a lot with the 17-70 and a single flash

---------- Post added 08-05-14 at 04:12 PM ----------

If you have the drive to earn a living as a photographer and you've had two years of studies, you ought to be looking for some paid photography work, even if its modest. Head shots and portraits can be done with window and foam board reflector. Besides the money, you need to just go do it and find out if its what you really want. It won't magically happen upon graduation. And you'll discover if you can sell yourself which is what a professional photographer does, regardless of geography.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I have far more lenses than I would care to admit. I've only bought three new. And two of those have gone in for repair. Statistically I have had far better luck with used than new. And buying used takes the "instant depreciation" out of the equation. Nearly all of the used lenses I have bought are worth more or at least the same as what I paid for them.

That said buying used is not without peril, you do need to have good sense and examine things carefully. Or buy from a reputable dealer like KEH.

---------- Post added 08-05-14 at 08:24 PM ----------

I would also agree with this. But I do not know your schedule. My son is in university studying for his masters and has zero extra time, maybe you have none either. But if you have even 10 hours a week you could easily earn enough to pay for all the gear you want. Except for the initial k-x and kit lens years ago all my gear has been paid for with money earned by photography.

And if you intend it to be your career my advice is do not wait to finish school to start, you should be learning the business, putting together a portfolio, getting to know people in the industry, making contacts. Then when you have graduated you are not starting cold but already have your foot in the door and have contacts who will help you.

Take a look here: lijahwinter My wife met this young man at a craft fair, he was selling his photographs. At the time I think he was 17.
I just haven't advertised myself yet as I lack the confidence. I have done a few shoots but those we are all unpaid.

I feel like my equipment I have is holding me back, but I am aware that I won't get anywhere unless I do start doing shoots , it's hard to find paid work anywhere nowadays.

That 17-70 shot is lovely. I may have to just go with that lens

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Not to be one to advise...but that kind of thinking will make you poor. If you don't have the cash, and it's not life or death, don't buy it.
I agree but if I make it monthly payments it means I can afford it right now and start doing more shoots right now and it's interest free so not paying anything on top.

www.facebook.com/kierandegnanphotography is where all my stuff is at. Only ever done one paid job and that was being a second shooter at a wedding.
08-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just haven't advertised myself yet as I lack the confidence.
I feel like my equipment I have is holding me back
I agree but if I make it monthly payments it means I can afford it right now and start doing more shoots right now and it's interest free
www.facebook.com/kierandegnanphotography is where all my stuff is at
With all due respect, I see lots of yellow and red flags here.

I'd recommend you don't spend a penny more on photographic equipment, especially if you don't generate any income. I believe you should focus your energy on developing an eye for shooting. You can improve upon your oeuvre with the equipment you've already paid for.

M
08-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
With all due respect, I see lots of yellow and red flags here.

I'd recommend you don't spend a penny more on photographic equipment, especially if you don't generate any income. I believe you should focus your energy on developing an eye for shooting. You can improve upon your oeuvre with the equipment you've already paid for.

M
Well, there are some things that are just a need - like a good quality flash like what he is thinking on getting.

And upgrading that kit lens to a better standard zoom is also going to help.

Still, that 35/2.4 lens on the K-r should be giving you high quality shots. You should be out there every single day shooting something, if possible.