Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2014, 05:33 AM   #1

HDR Questions

Hi,

As a newbie to HDR I would just like to ask a couple of quick questions please from those of you in the know.

HDR appears under the "Night Scene HDR" option - I assume this is what I use even in daylight as HDR itself is not purely a night time option.

Also I am advised to tick the "Align" option in the HDR settings. HDR Settings? What HDR Settings? The only time I ever see HDR is in the C2 menu and it is always grayed out but showing "Auto" when I am in Night Scene HDR of "Off" in any other mode.

Am I missing something please?

Cheers :-)

10-09-2014, 06:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi!
Night scene HDR is different from the regular HDR. Night scene is in the SCN menu on the mode dial, right? (I like night scene HDR btw, but you need a tripod and it has to be twilight/night)
What you want to do is switch to some other mode, like P or Av. Now press Info, and you will notice an HDR icon in the Info menu. If it is greyed out, you need to change some other settings (like jpeg instead of raw). There you can choose HDR and select its parameters (its "strength" and its "spread").
If you are serious about HDR, I suggest you don't use in-camera, but rather select Av mode, bracketing, and raw format, so you end up with 3 dng files. Then use these to blend the three exposures together on your computer, using Photoshop or one of the dedicated HDR software. Hey, the camera is great, but a computer should have much more CPU and ram, and more specialized software as well. For best results, you would also use a tripod and remote, so the "button press" and handshake don't blur the frames.
Hope this helps
10-09-2014, 07:13 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hi!
Night scene HDR is different from the regular HDR. Night scene is in the SCN menu on the mode dial, right? (I like night scene HDR btw, but you need a tripod and it has to be twilight/night)
What you want to do is switch to some other mode, like P or Av. Now press Info, and you will notice an HDR icon in the Info menu. If it is greyed out, you need to change some other settings (like jpeg instead of raw). There you can choose HDR and select its parameters (its "strength" and its "spread").
If you are serious about HDR, I suggest you don't use in-camera, but rather select Av mode, bracketing, and raw format, so you end up with 3 dng files. Then use these to blend the three exposures together on your computer, using Photoshop or one of the dedicated HDR software. Hey, the camera is great, but a computer should have much more CPU and ram, and more specialized software as well. For best results, you would also use a tripod and remote, so the "button press" and handshake don't blur the frames.
Hope this helps
Thanks very much, now I've found it - Never noticed it in the info menu before !! I have been playing with bracketing and raw format and then using Photoshop and/or Photomatix but I have to use the computer at work because my home laptop isn't too good any more. I'll try this new found option now and see what happens thanks, I still know nothing about that evasive "Align" setting though.

Cheers,
Rex.
10-09-2014, 07:59 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the Info menu is quite useful. You can change the jpeg mode (landscape, black and white, portrait), which affects colours, contrast and sharpening of the jpegs. A lot of people like the Film reversal one, or just choose the best one for the given scene. You can even customize them.
And you can choose the lens corrections as well, but those can slow down the camera a little.

One more option for HDR is the Enfuse GUI. It is a lightweight program, not super user friendly, but its okay. It doesn't have any auto-align feature, though.

10-09-2014, 11:49 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
the Info menu is quite useful. You can change the jpeg mode (landscape, black and white, portrait), which affects colours, contrast and sharpening of the jpegs. A lot of people like the Film reversal one, or just choose the best one for the given scene. You can even customize them.
And you can choose the lens corrections as well, but those can slow down the camera a little.

One more option for HDR is the Enfuse GUI. It is a lightweight program, not super user friendly, but its okay. It doesn't have any auto-align feature, though.
Thank you again......... Customize them? Film reversal? I am going to dive deeper into that menu and have a play, I like bright colours in my photos but they usually come out quite dull so I need to do more experiments :-)

Thanks for your input.
11-03-2014, 12:09 AM   #6

I agree with the previous comments about bracketing & doing your HDR work in your computer. To that end I highly recommend Trey Ratcliff's Stuck In Customs website. He's got a great ebook, Introduction to HDR that I found very useful.
11-04-2014, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kreuzn Quote
I agree with the previous comments about bracketing & doing your HDR work in your computer. To that end I highly recommend Trey Ratcliff's Stuck In Customs website. He's got a great ebook, Introduction to HDR that I found very useful.
Thank you, I had seen this in passing before but now have it bookmarked.