Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2015, 12:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

6 fps continuous shooting has under-exposure photos

Hi:

I have this problem since day one when I use the 6 fps continuous shooting. I always have 1 or 2 very under-exposure photos in between.

Is this normal? I bought 2 brand new Pentax prime lenses and they all exhibit this problem. Slow memory card?

01-26-2015, 12:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Using flash?

Metering mode?

Could you post a sample of the burst including over and under exposed images and the exif data?

Memory card speed shouldn't matter, it may mean it takes longer for the buffer to clear and it may affect the burst rate in a long sequence if your card is slow enough. No impact on the exposure though.
01-26-2015, 12:12 PM   #3

Just a thought, maybe you were in bracketing mode?
01-26-2015, 12:34 PM   #4
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It would best to post photos with the EXIF data intact. They don't need to be high quality images for this purpose since the main concern is the overall brightness.

At the very least what camera, lens, aperture and shutter speed were you shooting? I'll rule out sticky lenses since you say they are new, but even new lenses could develop oil on the blades if stored improperly.

Does it happen if you shoot at slower shutter speeds?

01-26-2015, 12:51 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have experienced something similar, but much more rarely with my K-7 and K-3. I shoot nearly always in continuous shooting mode, from 1-3 shot bursts to 1min long bursts. In Hi continuous shooting, one in 100 to 200 photographs might be under-exposed. This never bothered me because of the rare nature of the event. On my K-7, I had this since the beginning.

While I cannot point the cause of the problem, it is clear that you need some high quality fast card to do Hi continuous shooting. I use Sandisk class 10 cards and never had any problem with any of my 5 cards.

Hope that the comment may help.
01-26-2015, 01:32 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It happens to me too - it's a metering mode thing for me. Using center-metering and trying to track dogs, I think the meter doesn't always hit the dogs or grass/snow consistently. I should switch to matrix, I keep forgetting to swap it in those situations.