Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2015, 03:55 PM   #1

Trouble with autofocus- setting recommendations

I just bought my first auto focus lens (a DA 40mm 2.8 limited)

I normally shoot manual focus lenses but wanted an auto for shooing my daughter who is always on the move- making quickly focusig hard.

I tried all of the options for autofocus (5 point, 11 point- dont't have the camera in front of me, so going memory there) but when using it pretty much always picks a central point.

If I have to play around with multiple halfway shutter presses to get the focal point I want I don't see the need for an auto lens :/

Any tips about what autofocus settings you find work well on the K-r?

05-20-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd go with the central point (spot AF). Pentax's multi-point AF system is still basically in its infancy compared to other implementations, but it does work well with a single point.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-20-2015, 04:08 PM   #3
VBW

Original Poster
Thanks, do you frame up in center, half release shutter then reframe with that method?
05-20-2015, 04:25 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VBW Quote
Thanks, do you frame up in center, half release shutter then reframe with that method?
Yup. It's commonly known as focus-recompose if you wanted to research it in other threads- there should be plenty here on the forum.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-20-2015, 04:59 PM   #5
VBW

Original Poster
Awesome, thanks!
05-20-2015, 05:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup. It's commonly known as focus-recompose if you wanted to research it in other threads- there should be plenty here on the forum.
I've actually had a number of shots be slightly off with focus-recompose with a wide aperture. If you change the angle to get the center point on the spot you want, the distance will be different in your recomposition. When you have narrow DoF, this means you may be quite a bit off because the focus was 100% to begin with. I find it better to select the point manually. Only downside is that it takes a bit longer but I've had a bit better luck with it.
05-20-2015, 08:01 PM   #7
VBW

Original Poster
Yeah, after more playing with it- I am more accurate with the focus with manually focus than I am with focus- recompose. So I think I'll be selling this lens off (just have to get another 40mm or a 35mm to replace it first.)

Back to the older lenses I go!