Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-31-2015, 01:01 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by funyboyke Quote
Hi everybody,

My hobby is automotive photography.
After some cheaper camera's, a few year ago I decided to buy my first DSLR camera.
I liked the specs, looks and price of the Pentax K-r.
In the years I've been using it, I started to buy some extra lenses.

Now I got the feeling the K-r was 'just a start', and I should upgrade to a better camera.
Since it's already "old" and technology evolved.

But my question is: is it worth it?
Beside 12MP VS 24MP, is there anything i'm missing with the K-r?
And what should I buy? I want to re-use my lenses. So I can only choose the k-mount series, I guess.
Or is the K-r body still very good, and should I better spend money on lenses?

Kind regards,
Wim
The generational improvements between the K-r and later models like the K-30/K-50 and now K-S2 are significant. If you have an extra $300 to spare, I'd recommend going for the K-50.

In addition to more resolution and lower noise, you get weather sealing, a pentaprism viewfinder with 100% coverage, a more comfortable grip, and plenty of other improvements.

Pentax K-50 Plus Extras for $307.99 - Deals and Savings | PentaxForums.com

Pentax K-50 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-31-2015, 01:03 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by funyboyke Quote
Thx!

I'll start with using the Av mode.
If that works, I'll try manual focus and may consider buying a manual focus lens...
Here John Greengo outlines seven steps to getting a great photograph. I like his clips about photography. (this is part1)

06-02-2015, 02:06 AM   #18

I'm not a great one for car photography, but I do have a K-r :-) I've had a look through your Flickr and noticed that a lot of the images are very small. Is that from cropping or just to save room somewhere? If it's from cropping then it's a different lens you need, not a new body. And with still life cars a cheap manual lens will be fine. I picked up a great Auto Chinon 50mm 1.7 for Ģ25 (UK Pounds) on ebay, what a bargain. Your photos are clean and nice and sharp but, to me, a bit boring. Have a browse through Flickr or some car magazines and try to copy some of the ideas you see there. We have a small local car show but I don't bother as it's to crowded and any full car shot will be full of people and crap as well as the car. After a while you'll find a style that you like. Also try a little HDR, I'm sure a lot of the pros do, it can really make cars glow. Be careful though as you can over do it. The shot below is a 3 shot HDR that has been well overcooked, but it suited what I wanted. IRL the car is dirty, rusty and dull, but not in the photo.

Have fun with that K-r, it was a great camera when it came out, so it's still a great camera today.

Ray

06-03-2015, 06:14 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I upgraded from an istDS to a used K-r three years ago. I haven't even begun to think about upgrading again. Part of the reason is that the K-r has all of the features I need and the file size of the 14 megapixel raw images takes a lot less computing power to post process.

The question I would ask you is what pictures have you missed taking because you "only" have a K-r?

Shoots with my K-r

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 06-03-2015 at 06:20 AM.
06-03-2015, 06:37 AM   #20
Forum Member

I had a K-r (now passed on to my daughter who always wanted to learn). I loved it until I started buying prime glass and wasn't seeing the results I wanted/expected. After upgrading to a K-3, I am seeing the improved image quality I expected with the prime lenses. Don't get me wrong, I loved my K-r, but I think I just started to outgrow it.

Regards,
Dan
06-03-2015, 07:24 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dcumpian Quote
I loved my K-r, but I think I just started to outgrow it
That is the only good reason in my opinion to upgrade besides the camera is starting to fail. However, what do you do with the improved IQ. Sell prints? Post on the internet? Does the improved IQ show up in your end product or is it more of a "it brings me pleasure" thing. There is nothing wrong with improving IQ because it brings you pleasure. That is what hobbies are for.

Tim
06-03-2015, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
That is the only good reason in my opinion to upgrade besides the camera is starting to fail. However, what do you do with the improved IQ. Sell prints? Post on the internet? Does the improved IQ show up in your end product or is it more of a "it brings me pleasure" thing. There is nothing wrong with improving IQ because it brings you pleasure. That is what hobbies are for.

Tim
I shot for 20 years using slide film. The higher IQ more closely matches the results I used to achieve with good, fine-grained slide film. At this point in my life, I'd call it pleasure.

Regards,
Dan

06-03-2015, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #23

if youīre not printing large, then thereīs absolutely no need in upgrading the camera. invest money in learning photography, and photography techniques.

the whole new world you havenīt discovered?
want to squise every last drop out of your k-r. get yourself a prime, no matter - brand new with AF for200$ or old manual for 20$, put the camera on a tripod, use mirror lockup(3s selftimer), and enjoy every one of your 14 mpixels. It will slow you down and make some good, since you will definetely think twice before investing 5-10 minuits in another useless shot.
HDR, Long time exposure, freezing with flashes, light painting.

professional gear and cameras makes your life easier - better IS, more dynamic range, better noice reduction, but they canīt really do anything more, than your camera already does - capturing pictures. well except printing larger%) and the IQ depends on how good YOU can use your gear.
donīt let yourselve in the technical dispute like - the sensor of k-50 does - 5-10% better IQ. if the photo looks good, you donīt care with which camera it was shot. if its bad, than not 5%, nor 50% better IQ will save you.
06-04-2015, 01:16 AM - 1 Like   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Hines Quote
We have a small local car show but I don't bother as it's to crowded and any full car shot will be full of people and crap as well as the car.
thats a wrong attitude Ray.) I donīt want to think how many shots i missed because of same thoughts - there are people in shot, bad lighting, dull weather, subject not interesting enough, missed the moment, etc.

Ever shot shopping mall with 1000īs of people?) well count them on the photo below, that was a shopping passage in netherlands, rotterdam i think, sorry not an automotive.
Was a 2 min. long time exposure, IR, and really a lot of people(you can use some nd1000 filters instead). all PP done - bit sharpneing, lvl correction to get a bit more contrast, desaturating blue - thats all
In still Images you can just fade them away with a long time exposure around 30 sec-1 minuit, depending on lighting conditions. DIrect sunlight on people - depending on their closing and amount of people, you will get some ghosts / people in the shadow, or diffused light - you wonīt see any soul out there / shorter exposures - you will blurr them and make anonymus. There are hundreds of possibilities to solve the problem, or turn it into your advantage.

hey, and iīm using k-x, with 10$ tamron adaptall 28mm f2.8. would professional gear make it better? nope. k3 with 24mp, has different color rendering in IR, and some high end lenses, are mostly prone to a burning middlepoint in IR - yeah, i would still get very nice results, probably with a bit more detail, but they will be just different, and not better.

Last edited by Vitalii; 10-14-2015 at 06:04 AM.
06-04-2015, 05:58 AM   #25

You could be right Vitalii, I have missed many shots due to people and crap. However, in the case of this particular car show everything is on top of everything else and a tripod would be impractical. As for something like a shopping mall then yes, a tripod and a ND Filter can make everyone disappear. I have a new 10 Stop ND Filter currently on order so I will be doing some long exposure shots soon. I'm hoping to do some night shots on the bridges over the Thames later this month. Nice pic btw.