Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2015, 05:31 PM   #1

K-r mechanical troubles

For the second time in 13 months, my 3-year old K-r is having mechanical troubles. Some combination of the shutter not opening right and the mirror not going up. The first time, troubles started after about 16,000 exposures. Just 3,600 exposures later, the old symptoms are returning, and this is after a repair job last year at Precision Camera (recommended at the time by Ricoh). Two questions.

First, is this a K-r thing or a DSLR thing? Are all reflex cameras going to last just so long and then we have to fix or buy a new one?

Second, since failure could happen at any time: what to do that doesn't cost more than a few hundred dollars? I don't think I'll go back to the same repair place, given this history. Does an upgrade at this time make sense and if so, upgrade to what? Looks to me like a new K-50 body might be a good upgrade for about the same money as last year's repair. Since I also have an older computer and always shoot "raw" I like 16 megapixels less (in a sense) than the K-r's 12 but better than today's state of the art. I have two kit lenses, a 35 mm prime, and a vintage M lens, so as for lenses I suppose I'm all set.

Part of me is saying, think mirrorless! I'm not sure I want to do that.

08-09-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

don't know about the repair deal.....but I have both k-50 and k-r.....had the k-50 first but use the k-r constantly! the 12mp is fine with me and the smaller file size is nice (although I can choose 12mp on the k-50)......since your k-r has experienced the same problem a second time it maybe worth while to get a k-50 especially since it can be had a for a song and does offer more features..........
08-10-2015, 03:53 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
don't know about the repair deal.....but I have both k-50 and k-r.....had the k-50 first but use the k-r constantly! the 12mp is fine with me and the smaller file size is nice (although I can choose 12mp on the k-50)......since your k-r has experienced the same problem a second time it maybe worth while to get a k-50 especially since it can be had a for a song and does offer more features..........
Thanks, that's what I thought. Ricoh won't be selling it much longer. Does the K-50 do a better job with autofocus? And the K-r is a noisy little fellow, will a K-50 be quieter?
08-10-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jjhamill Quote
autofocus
maybe slightly better but I have the kit lenses and older sigma af lenses and seem relatively the same to me....the 75-300 sigma can hunt on either body(not a great lens but works with my budget which is close to zero)......so better lenses may perform better

QuoteOriginally posted by jjhamill Quote
K-50 be quieter
I have not noticed a difference in noise but have not been in an environment that would make me pay attention