Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2015, 08:31 AM   #1

K-r Mirror flop- who can repair it ?

My K-r has the mirror-flop issue.

I've tried brand new AA energizer ultimate lithium's, I've tried the removing the lens pushing doing on the aperture lever, I've tried different lenses.

It keeps happening.

6955 shots on the odometer, the camera is years old.

Can PENTAX or another camera shop fix this, or is it time for the junkyard ?

1. send it to PENTAX ?
2. send it to another repair shop ?
3. retire it and buy another body ?

thanks

09-20-2015, 09:32 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Parts may no longer be available but I would check with the service center in your area.

It might make more sense to replace the camera with something like the k-50, which currently sells for around $295.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-20-2015, 10:51 AM   #3

Original Poster
Already looking at the K-50

just gave my old K-110D to my 13 year old daughter, so guess we'll have to share for now

Should I expect something like this to last over 7000 shots ?

.....or is this about how long they last these days ?

Last edited by derek45; 09-20-2015 at 11:01 AM.
09-20-2015, 11:26 AM   #4

The flat rate quote on Precision Camera not including shipping for a K-r is $206.50. That should aid the decision process.

09-20-2015, 11:46 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The flat rate quote on Precision Camera not including shipping for a K-r is $206.50. That should aid the decision process.
Saw that too, . . . . same price as PENTAX.

which is what prompted me to make this post.

was hoping somebody could recommend a cheaper repair shop who was familiar with this trouble.

At $206, I'll just buy a new K-50 body
09-20-2015, 02:14 PM   #6

You could give Advance Camera in Oregon a try. It has been confirmed they are still an authorized Pentax/Ricoh repair center. However they cannot do some repairs that requires proprietary test/calibration equipment or software. Only Precision can do those.

Repair | Advance Camera Inc.

You can try KEH for repairs too. They have been getting rather good reviews from other forum members who have sent equipment to them. I don't think they are an authorized service center but in any case they are in the same boat as Advance for some repair work.

https://www.keh.com/repair
12-28-2015, 03:45 PM   #7

Original Poster
On the fence between buying a K-50 and switching to NIKON

Really pissed that this thing is a doorstop with 7000 shots on the odometer

What kind of lifespan should be expected in a DSLR these days ?

12-28-2015, 04:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter

It's not the mechanical part that failed. It's the electronic controller. And that is subject to things like corrosion, voltages, capacitance & resistance. The electronic part is vulnerable to the vagaries of electronics. It happens. I had a brand new, barely out of warranty Bluray player die one day. Just quit. I live in an area prone to storms. Even with surge protectors & proactive unplugging of stuff, I still buy new motherboards every couple years.