Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2015, 11:38 AM   #1

Why no "lens correction" but I do have "GPS"?

On the Rec.Mode 3 screen my camera shows: Movie, Live View, Instant Review, D-Range Setting, Lens Correction (in light grey) and GPS. When I scroll down to each line, I can't stop on Lens Correction.

When I select GPS I get Simple Navigation which leads to Select Destination which leads to several options: PENTAX_USA, PENTAX_CANADA, PENTAX_GERMANY, ETC.

I can't find any information about GPS in the Operating Manual.

What's the story on the GPS and why can't I get Lens Correction?
Are there different models of the K-r?

Thanks, Fred.

09-25-2015, 11:47 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fred C Quote
Are there different models of the K-r?
No, but there have been some firmware updates released. Since you have the GPS menu your firmware must already be fairly recent.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fred C Quote
What's the story on the GPS and why can't I get Lens Correction?
You would need to have the O-GPS1 unit for the GPS options to have any effect.

As for lens corrections, they are only available for modern genuine Pentax lenses (DA, D FA, DA L, and FA Limited series).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-25-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yep, GPS settings are in-camera, but you need the actual GPS accessory for GPS to be recorded. K-r does not have built in GPS. Best to just leave it off unless you buy and use a GPS unit
For corrections, just turn on the camera and press Info, there you can choose which corrections you want. It is possible that some modes do not allow all of the corrections, but if you use the normal modes (Av, P, M, Tv), you should be able to enable it. Of course, it also depends on the lens. The lens corrections requires a lens profile that the camera then applies. This means it only works for modern Pentax lenses. Which lens are you using?
You should use the latest firmware update, because Pentax adds more lens profiles for the new lenses that way. You can find somethreads, a PF article, and even youtube video about firmware updates, so feel free to look it up. It is best to use the latest firmware. You only need to apply the latest one, as it includes any previous fixes.
09-25-2015, 02:39 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
because Pentax adds more lens profiles for the new lenses that way
I thought they came from the lens itself.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-25-2015, 04:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I thought they came from the lens itself.
Ah, I just checked some firmware updates and I think I found out what confused me. Firmware updates state that they contain updates for CD AF for specific lenses (like DA 560mm and HD limited lenses), so I assumed it also contained other lens-specific profiles like CA and distortion. Guess that assumption was wrong, sorry
09-25-2015, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Ah, I just checked some firmware updates and I think I found out what confused me. Firmware updates state that they contain updates for CD AF for specific lenses (like DA 560mm and HD limited lenses), so I assumed it also contained other lens-specific profiles like CA and distortion. Guess that assumption was wrong, sorry
Yup, optimizations but not the profiles themselves.

Adam

09-26-2015, 12:29 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lens correction, along with highlight/shadow protection, are only available when shooting jpeg. It is assumed RAW shooters will handle these situations in PP.

09-26-2015, 05:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting - on my K-5, lens correction is available on RAW in all exposure modes. Except that I have both options turned off(!) because 1) yes, I prefer to do it in post, and 2) turned on in camera. Saving times are longer.
09-26-2015, 05:45 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Interesting - on my K-5, lens correction is available on RAW in all exposure modes. Except that I have both options turned off(!) because 1) yes, I prefer to do it in post, and 2) turned on in camera. Saving times are longer.
I think lens correction in raw mode is used only when generating the jpeg preview.
09-26-2015, 10:45 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks to you all!

Wow, what a lot of good information. I think my questions are answered. I am working through them now.
09-26-2015, 12:50 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I agree, lens correction in RAW only affects the JPG preview in camera, but the setting is transferred to PDCU - if you use it! (😃 I do). My point was that the setting is selectable in the K-5, it's not greyed out.