Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2015, 08:02 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
AA Battery adapter question/problem

I loaded my pentax brand AA adapter with Energizer NIMH rechargables and when I turned the camera on, the lcd screen started acting funny. It eventually went to simple verticle lines and I shut the camera off. The lines remained when I put a d-li109 battery in, but after a few on/off cycles went away. Anyone else have this problem?
Do I dare try AA batteries and risk ruining the camera?

10-15-2015, 08:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gregsamuel Quote
Do I dare try AA batteries and risk ruining the camera?
Were the batteries fully charged when you loaded them?

I've had good experience with the Energizer rechargeables:

Energizer Accu Recharge Extreme AA-HR6 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
10-15-2015, 08:21 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Were the batteries fully charged when you loaded them?

I've had good experience with the Energizer rechargeables:

Energizer Accu Recharge Extreme AA-HR6 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Lytrytyr, I had just charged the batteries, but they are shared around the family for WII motes,... They initially showed half-full on the K-R screen, just before the screen went hay-wire.
Maybe I should try brand new batteries or alkalines. Also, do you have trouble removing the ac adapter? Mine was pretty much stuck, and I had to use a small screwdriver to pry it out?
10-15-2015, 08:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Lytrytyr, I had just charged the batteries, but they are shared around the family for WII motes,... They initially showed half-full on the K-R screen, just before the screen went hay-wire.
Good batteries should show full green after a full charge,
so the ones you had may have been cycled too many times.
Also, do you have trouble removing the ac adapter? Mine was pretty much stuck, and I had to use a small screwdriver to pry it out?
I don't have the AC adapter, just the AA battery pack.
It can be a bit tricky to get the white plastic tab depressed,
without blocking the battery pack from coming out.

10-15-2015, 08:50 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Good batteries should show full green after a full charge,
so the ones you had may have been cycled too many times.

I don't have the AC adapter, just the AA battery pack.
It can be a bit tricky to get the white plastic tab depressed,
without blocking the battery pack from coming out.
Typo on ac adapter, it is the AA adapter. It was trouble to get out. May retry with brand new batteries, but worried I might hurt the camera.
10-15-2015, 09:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

May retry with brand new batteries, but worried I might hurt the camera.
If you get the batteries fully charged, you should be fine.

BTW, it's good to use a slower charger that keeps the batteries cool while they're charging.
Some of the best ones have a cooling fan built in.
10-15-2015, 10:26 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I use that same brand of batteries. I have no problem with mine in my K50 nor have I had any problems with the AA adapter getting stuck.
11-01-2015, 05:43 AM   #8
dlh

make sure the correct battery type is selected in the menu settings - if the camera's expecting alkaline and you stick in ni-mh or vice-versa you could get unpredictable results.

11-01-2015, 08:37 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I used the AA Battery adapter in the KR I owned and found it a little finicky sometimes.
I found that you had to be very careful putting the batteries in the adapter because it is possible to put one of the batteries in backwards. I also found that if the contacts in the adapter or batteries were dirty or corroded or if one of the batteries is bad (not holding a charge or shorted) it would cause problems due to low voltage (less than 4.8 Volts DC) with the camera. It is possible for a battery to show fully charged when removed from the charger and fail immediately when put under load. A bad battery will either be hotter or colder than the other batteries being charged because of either a poor or bad chemical reaction within the battery during the charging process
As mentioned earlier it is not a good idea to mix batteries of different age, capacity (2000-2200 mAh) and maker. In order to keep batteries in matched sets I mark the batteries on the label with a unique identifying mark so the same 4 batteries are always charged and discharged together
I doubt in any case, unless you put all the batteries in backwards reversing the polarity, you will not do any damage to the camera.

Last edited by NS_Sailor; 11-01-2015 at 08:50 AM.
11-02-2015, 06:10 PM   #10
dlh

Btw, Ni-MH batteries can be deceptive - they can be fully charged according to the charger, but all that means is that they're not accepting any more juice. Had a similar problem once, but found the batteries were fully charged, and provided proper voltage for a couple of seconds, and then died just from the current used in testing the batteries. Those were "enercell" from Radio Shack, and I assumed at the time that the brand was not reliable (made in China); replaced with Energizer (made in Japan), which worked great. It must just be age and excessive cycling, since the complaint in this thread was about Energizers.
12-12-2015, 12:32 PM   #11

There's something that isn't mention here by anyone offering advice. Is the charger you have a decent intelligent charger? If not, try to get a really good one. Most battery chargers shorten the life of batteries by charging too fast, also overcharging and/or undercharging some batteries. A decent intelligent charger will have a refresh mode and other features to improve the performance of your batteries. In addition a really good charger will charge each battery separately and provide you with a separate readout for each battery. You can even charge one battery while doing a refresh on another on a good charger. With a typical dumb charger there is a timer to decide whether the battery is charged, which is not a great way to do it.

Yes, a good charger will cost more, but it will save you money in the long run. A typical good quality AA battery will recharge 100-250 times in a dumb charger, but the same battery is likely to recharge 500-1500 times in a good one.
12-12-2015, 01:29 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks Fire Angel! I think my aa charger is old and stupid (like me). I got some new d-li109 batteries to add to my collection. Might retry the aa some day, with new batteries and a smart charger.
12-21-2015, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #13
dlh

A little tangential to the topic, but relevant: I had a bit of a fright yesterday. The d-Li109 in the camera gave me the "battery depleted" message, so I switched it out for another one. Turned the camera back on, and it worked fine for about ten seconds then quit, dead, completely nonresponsive. Began wondering about warranty issues and how long it would take to get the camera back. Then it occurred to me, stupid! I'd switched the dead battery for another dead battery. But the "new" dead battery didn't cause the "depleted" message, camera just went black. Put a fresh one in, and all's well with the world. Whew!
12-21-2015, 09:06 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Dodged a bullet - or at least it feels that way.
12-24-2015, 02:39 PM   #15
dlh

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Dodged a bullet - or at least it feels that way.
Is this what they mean by a "near-death experience"?