Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2016, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first efforts at time-lapse using a K-r.

After obtaining a Chinese low-cost version of the AC adapter for the K-r, I decided to use the intervalometer for making some time-lapse video. The method I used doesn't require the camera to be any good at video, which is good because the K-r is pants at video. So I proceeded as follows:

Set up a glass in front of the camera.
Set up the camera to take 990 frames at 14 second intervals (about 4 hours).
Use built-in flash (AAAARRRGH) because I don't yet have an AC adapter for my flashguns.
Put camera in Manual mode, take test shots until exposure is right.
Set Camera to use JPEG mode (AARRRGH!) because my software can't process DNG files.
Add a load of ice cubes to the glass.
Set the camera going and wait.

Once all the frames are taken they are loaded into my Mac and processed into video using software. It's a fairly quick process, then hey-presto, four hours compressed into forty seconds, a speed-up of 360 times.

The results are here at 720p for the first one:

and here I made a better version at 1080p:

The flickering light is because I couldn't turn off the AC lighting in the room where I shot this; at the shutter speed I used this shows up as flickering light levels. I will either use a slower shutter speed and a neutral density filter for future efforts, or just use a room where I can leave the lights off so the flash is providing the only light. Eventually I hope to video a plant growing. By using separate software to process the frames into a video you can even make a 4k video using a K-r or any other still camera that can use either a built-in intervalometer or a plug-in one.

The AC adapter review is here: Ex-Pro K-AC128 AC adapter kit for K-r, K-30 & K-50 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Last edited by Fire Angel; 03-10-2016 at 06:27 AM.
03-09-2016, 04:17 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Loved seeing the ice cubes spin in the glass, Fire Angel - nicely done!
03-09-2016, 05:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Loved seeing the ice cubes spin in the glass, Fire Angel - nicely done!
Yeah that spinning effect surprised and delighted me. This is reality 360 times faster than normal, so we get to see events that normally we miss because nothing appears to be happening. This is one of the delights of time lapse, and the fact that a 2010 entry-level Pentax camera allows me to explore that world is really pleasing.

Last edited by Fire Angel; 03-09-2016 at 05:23 PM.
03-09-2016, 07:06 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Fire Angel Quote
Yeah that spinning effect surprised and delighted me. This is reality 360 times faster than normal, so we get to see events that normally we miss because nothing appears to be happening. This is one of the delights of time lapse, and the fact that a 2010 entry-level Pentax camera allows me to explore that world is really pleasing.
Just remember this is a fast way to use up the mechanical shutter on the camera.

03-09-2016, 10:20 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WildBikerBill Quote
Just remember this is a fast way to use up the mechanical shutter on the camera.
Oh yeah, I know you can easily wear the camera out if you do this a lot, but I doubt I will come anywhere near to the rated 100,000 shutter operations this year, and I am planning to upgrade to one of the weather sealed cameras sometime during 2016.