Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2016, 08:38 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Image disdurbance

Please I need advice if its the camera(K-r) because from the naked eye I cannot see it from the lens if its a dirt or something.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
03-21-2016, 08:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a spec of dust and a small piece of filament of some sort on your sensor. Hopefully can be fixed by taking the lens off, locking up the mirror and blowing off the sensor using a rocket blower like this: Giottos Rocket Blaster Dust-Removal Tool (Large, Black) AA1900. I advise you to check your owner's manual on how to lock up the mirror for lens cleaning before you make the attempt.
Good luck.
Daryl
03-21-2016, 08:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you but it's not always present just depending on the distance of the zoom (forgive me if my terminology is wrong, I'm new to the camera world)
03-21-2016, 09:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

That's relatively easy to clean, don't worry. It's hair and dust on the sensor. You'll notice it the most on bright, solid color backgrounds like the sky, especially as you "stop down" the aperture (f/22 will show the dust sharply focused while f/4 will blur it). Different zoom amounts can also affect the visibility (55mm might show it more than 18mm).

Make sure the auto-clean function is enabled on your K-r, so it shakes the sensor on startup to remove dust. The auto clean doesn't always work and then you can use a rocket blower as recommended above. Do not blow into the camera to try cleaning because spit in the camera becomes much tougher to clean.

P.S. Dirt on the front of the lens will usually be invisible. Don't overclean lenses.

03-21-2016, 10:52 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Centuriiion Quote
Thank you but it's not always present just depending on the distance of the zoom (forgive me if my terminology is wrong, I'm new to the camera world)
The aperture is the main thing that affects the visibility of dust/dirt. In bright light your camera is more likely to use narrower aperture settings, so dust becomes more visible.

The rocket blower mentioned above should let you take care of this easily

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-01-2016, 06:15 AM   #6

Original Poster
But is it effective if I spam the dust removal to remove the dust?
04-01-2016, 12:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

But is it effective if I spam the dust removal to remove the dust?
If I spot dust I'll try dust removal up to 3 times. When 3 doesn't do it, a dozen probably won't, so that's when I go for the rocket blower.

I've been lucky and never needed a wet cleaning in 5 years of DSLR ownership. I did have to use tweezers once for a hair or fabric that was stuck in the shutter hinges and visible in some images.

04-01-2016, 10:02 PM   #8

Original Poster
Well i just used the dust removal it didn't remove the dust, but when I used the dust alert the sensor is spotless how come? or is it in the lens?
04-01-2016, 10:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Well i just used the dust removal it didn't remove the dust, but when I used the dust alert the sensor is spotless how come? or is it in the lens?
Lens is unlikely. The dust and hair is sharp in your sample image, meaning it's close to the sensor.
04-01-2016, 10:27 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
or is it in the lens?
No, it is not in the lens. If it were, it would not be sharp and distinct. Here are the things you can do to remove it, in order:
  • Try the camera's dust removal feature. Do it at least three times. Evaluate by doing an exposure of the blank sky.
  • If the dust is still there, attempt to remove it using a "rocket" type blower. Take care to not touch the blower tip to the sensor. Do not use "canned air" for this task. This technique usually works.
  • If the dust is still there, a commercially available cleaning kit may be in order. I have no experience with these and cannot give a recommendation (blower always works for me).
  • An alternative to a cleaning kit or if all of the above fail, would be professional cleaning

Steve
04-01-2016, 11:19 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you for the advice its, sorry I'm still new to this.
07-12-2016, 08:16 PM   #12

Original Poster
Guys I have another problem , it flickers red and yellow all of the sudden. Im using a Sigma 70-300 DL macro when it first began.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-J500G  Photo