Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2016, 02:52 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Used K-r - how to test when it arrives?

Few days ago I bought used K-r camera body and now wait for the delivery. Seller gave no much info on the camera but it should be functional and this was a real steal.
I'm really happy with the purchase, but wonder what should be tested with this camera model specifically, so I would ask experience Users here.

...after reading this Sub-forum I think most problems occur when power source gets older, so additional good NiMH batteries in battery pack/adapter seems to be a must.

Last edited by Piotrek K; 05-30-2016 at 03:08 AM.
05-30-2016, 03:09 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-r didn't really suffer from any common defects, so I'd just shoot some pics with it and make sure all the basics are working. And yes, always make sure you're using fresh batteries. Rechargeables tend to die after a couple hundred cycles.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-30-2016, 03:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I would make a test of the basics, too. Further I would try all knobs and buttons. Does the thumb wheel work as it should?
Is the diaphragm control ok? Excessive wear anywhere? Make a dust check of the sensor!

After all, the K-r is a reliable tool (got one myself). Nevertheless it has some points (as mentioned before) you should pay special attention.

Have fun!
05-30-2016, 03:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Yeah, the K-r didn't suffer of many problems. Just check all dials and buttons, to see that they work normally. Look into the viewfinder, take photo at various Apertures, see if the camera sets the aperture correctly (you can have a slow shutter speed and look into the lens to see if it works). Do a long exposure, to see if the shutter and everything is alright.
Maybe ask if the sensor was ever wet cleaned - the reason for this is that different kinds of wet cleaners can clash, so it is best to use the same one on a given camera.
Yes, check the battery compartment, and also the SD card compartment, to see that they are free of damage and dust, grime.

Oh, and try the flash. The flash on my K-r went bad, but it may have been my fault testing an old, SLR flash.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 05-30-2016 at 05:55 AM.
05-30-2016, 06:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank for all the replies so far! That's great that users see K-r as a, rather, reliable camera. I wasn't that sure seiing some reports here, it is sometimes difficult to say what is real fault reported by many and what kind of "internet-moan".
05-30-2016, 06:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Oh, I think one problem that some users experienced was AF misfocusing in tungsten light. What helps is to set the Tungsten WB manually (instead of using AWB in those conditions), and updating the camera firmware to the latest one (this also gives you support for newer types of SD cards). There is also a Menu option where you can choose Tungsten WB correction to Normal or Strong.
I think the most complaints were about the AF back then, but that was mostly because the AF points are so much bigger than the AF overlays in the viewfinder. The little red square in the viewfinder is small, but the AF point is much bigger, as big as the ( ) in the centre of the frame. so sometimes the AF point locked focus, but not on the thing the users wanted. But this is just a general issue; every camera required the user to learn its specifics and use it correctly. Good luck!
05-30-2016, 07:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter

if you are going to use it with M42 and/or t-mount lenses watch out for mirror flopping. More here.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/116-pentax-k-r/271872-tests-plated-vs-pai...r-whats-t.html
05-30-2016, 07:23 AM   #8
Site Supporter

It was reported on both Kx and Kr, though seems to have been more prevalent on the Kr but there was an issue of excessive lubricant/grease on the E-Dial. The problem is easily fixable but was evident especially on AV mode where the aperture setting jumps sporadically. To test it set the shooting mode to AV then cycle through the entire aperture range and see if each aperture setting stays or jumps around.

My wife's Kr had the issue but I was able to fix it following directions from here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/116-pentax-k-r/145847-k-r-e-dial-repair.html

05-30-2016, 12:15 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I've used a K-x where the thumb wheel did not register every click once it got some miles on it, so check that out.
06-01-2016, 06:01 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you very much!!! This is a very firendly (sub)Forum!
06-05-2016, 03:18 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
It was reported on both Kx and Kr, though seems to have been more prevalent on the Kr but there was an issue of excessive lubricant/grease on the E-Dial. The problem is easily fixable but was evident especially on AV mode where the aperture setting jumps sporadically. To test it set the shooting mode to AV then cycle through the entire aperture range and see if each aperture setting stays or jumps around.

My wife's Kr had the issue but I was able to fix it following directions from here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/116-pentax-k-r/145847-k-r-e-dial-repair.html

I had to repair my edial twice, takes only a couple of minutes. The K-r is still a great little performer, enjoy
06-08-2016, 07:28 PM   #12

Check the autofocus by photographing a book or newspaper on a table from an angle. Mine back focusses really badly, so badly that the compensation adjustment can't compensate because there isn't enough range in it. It needs adjusting but I have no idea how to do it and no access to the information I need to make the adjustments.
06-12-2016, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Many thanks for all the replies. I checked everything and my new K-r seems to be fine. It is great upgrade for me as it has many things way better compared to my K200D (lovely camera BTW). It is great companion to my DA 40XS also!
06-12-2016, 03:39 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Congratulations!
And yeah, it is super compact with a 40mm XS! Good lens, too!
06-17-2016, 04:15 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Agreed, the K-r with the plastic fantastics or limiteds is a nice compact capable lightweight package.
Enjoy the new camera!