Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2016, 11:15 PM   #1

AF problem

Bought the K-R about 3 years ago. In the last 3 weeks, the AF-S doesn't seem to work correctly. I point at a subject off -center, hold the button down, and then focus on the subject. I hold the button down, then move the camera to recompose. Suddenly the AF then focuses on the center again and even when I start with the focus on the center, the AF seems to be constantly searching as if I have it in AF-C.

Has anyone else had this problem and what did you have to do to correct it.

Thanks.

06-04-2016, 11:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the camera in AF.A by any chance? I believe that the auto mode and scene modes force this.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-05-2016, 03:01 PM   #3

Original Poster
No, the setting is on AF-S. I very rarely change it, because I mostly do landscapes, etc. If I'm shooting a sporting event, I might move it to AF-C, but all of these problems have been in AF-S
06-05-2016, 03:38 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am going to take a shot in the dark because I do not have a KR.

According to the trouble shooter in the owners manual on page 329, If the capture mode is set to moving object or if the Scene mode is set to stage lighting, night snap, kids, or pets, the focus will not lock.

Check your top dial to see what your camera is set to. Good possibility the top dial has been set to scene mode on accident.

Scene mode can be found on page 91 in the owners manual.

06-05-2016, 09:18 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestion. However, the settings didn't move. I'm either in AV, TV or P. I've never taken a picture using any of the other modes, and I've tested the camera numerous times checking the settings before I try to focus.
If this had happened once or twice, I could see how the wheel could have moved. However, there have been numerous times in the field when I set it on AV and this problem crops up.