Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2016, 02:52 PM   #1

Looking for advice for a Prime lense for the K-r

Yep have the 18-55mm Lens with my K-r

But would love to buy a (Reasonably Priced) Prime lens.
Most of my pics are landscape but whee to from here is still unclear

Cheers for years
Colin

09-08-2016, 03:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want modern and auto focus then the DA 50mm f/1.8 or the DA 35mm f/2.4 would be at the top of the list.

Or if you don't mind manual focus then I suggest you look at your current image library and find out which focal length you use the most, then look in the lens database for something that fits what you want to do.
09-08-2016, 03:05 PM   #3
Inactive Account

21mm or (and) 70mm Ltd's.

Other limiteds are probably awesome too, but I haven't used them.

21 is super versatile and fun to use and 70 is absolutely amazing lens, one of the best Pentax lenses in my opinion.
09-08-2016, 03:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The only way you would improve on the 18-55mm with a wide angle AF prime lens would be with the FA 21 pr 15 Limiteds I think.
If that seems too pricey even used I would suggest another zoom - the DA 16-45mm f4. Only available used, I paid 120 for mine. It is a very good and affordable lens I think for that purpose.

09-08-2016, 03:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You cannot go wrong with the aforementioned DA 35 f/2.4 and DA 50 f/1.8. Great optical quality at a ridiculously low price.

If you enjoy landscapes you might want to try ultra-wide angle. Have a look at Samyang primes, like the 14 f/2.8.
09-08-2016, 03:15 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by kamicota Quote
Yep have the 18-55mm Lens with my K-r

But would love to buy a (Reasonably Priced) Prime lens.

Cheers for years
Colin
I'd go for the DA 35mm. It's a nice standard prime

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-08-2016, 03:53 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

the 21mm LTD is a great lens

09-08-2016, 03:55 PM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd go for the DA 35mm. It's a nice standard prime
+1. Probably my favourite lens, all things considered. Really versatile, great image quality and - considering the optical performance - a bargain...
09-08-2016, 04:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kamicota Quote
Day or night landscape?
if night landscape with a lot of long exposure, you could never go wrong with a DA15. it can be used for other type of shooting as well but I really love it for night landscape and long exposure type of shooting. you can find a lot of good sample image here or sample of night photo / landscape in general from variety of lenses go here.

For general landscape, It might be a good idea to see photo taken with your zoom lens first, see what is your most comfortable focal length and buy lens bases on that particular focal length.

IMO, DA21 is a very good walk around and landscape lens, but again, you can do landscape with almost any focal length, what is your most comfortable focal length?

Last edited by pakinjapan; 09-08-2016 at 04:23 PM.
09-08-2016, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
You cannot go wrong with the aforementioned DA 35 f/2.4 and DA 50 f/1.8. Great optical quality at a ridiculously low price.

If you enjoy landscapes you might want to try ultra-wide angle. Have a look at Samyang primes, like the 14 f/2.8.
I concur. Though, unless you have K-1 or want to use the lens on film cameras, I would recommend Samyang 16mm f2 instead of the 14mm. Not as awkwardly wide, a little easier to focus, slightly faster aperture, removable lens hood.
You can also look for a DA 40mm XS. Affordable and super compact, with the "limited style" deep contrasts, but it has slightly slower aperture. Still, the K-r with DA 40mm XS is a really small package with good quality photos and fast AF.

Tl;dr: You can't go wrong with DA 35mm, DA 40mm XS, DA 50mm f1.8, Samyang 14mm, Samyang 16mm. All of these are really good and affordable, great place to start with primes. Personally, I would go with DA 35mm as an everyday lens or Samyang 16mm for significantly wide angle. My first prime after buying K-r was DA 35mm and I don't regret it. Still use it a lot today, years later

Last edited by Na Horuk; 09-08-2016 at 04:47 PM.
09-08-2016, 10:09 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
Day or night landscape?
if night landscape with a lot of long exposure, you could never go wrong with a DA15. it can be used for other type of shooting as well but I really love it for night landscape and long exposure type of shooting. you can find a lot of good sample image here or sample of night photo / landscape in general from variety of lenses go here.
The 18-55mm is an underrated zoom IMO. What is it in a prime that you feel you canʻt get from the zoom? The focal length (not wide or tele enough), the speed (for shallow d-o-f), or image quality? Depending on your reasons, the best solution is going to change. For me, I find the 18mm not quite wide enough and would opt for the DA15, so +1 on pakinjapan.
09-09-2016, 04:41 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
Find out your shooting habits (which focal lenghts you use the most): ExposurePlot jpg exif lens length analyzer for photographers
09-09-2016, 06:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I concur. Though, unless you have K-1 or want to use the lens on film cameras, I would recommend Samyang 16mm f2 instead of the 14mm. Not as awkwardly wide, a little easier to focus, slightly faster aperture, removable lens hood.
I particularly recommended the 14 over the alternative of the 16 because for me the difference between 16 and 18 mm isn't that great. He already has the DA L 18-55, which stopped down to f/8 delivers decent shots at 18 mm. As he's interested in landscapes I recommended something wider. To be honest, the Samyang 12 f/2 would be amazing - even a bit wider, faster and allows for filter usage, but unfortunately not available for Pentax. The 10 f/2.8, on the other hand, is seriously wide ...
09-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I particularly recommended the 14 over the alternative of the 16 because for me the difference between 16 and 18 mm isn't that great. He already has the DA L 18-55, which stopped down to f/8 delivers decent shots at 18 mm. As he's interested in landscapes I recommended something wider. To be honest, the Samyang 12 f/2 would be amazing - even a bit wider, faster and allows for filter usage, but unfortunately not available for Pentax. The 10 f/2.8, on the other hand, is seriously wide ...
But one thing to consider is that the 18-55 isn't really useful - usually - at 18mm. You need at least 20mm, better yet 22-23mm for it to be sharp, even stopped down.
09-10-2016, 02:20 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thank you all,
You have given me food for thought on where too from here.
And also learned a few things too.
My landscapes are virtually all day time.
After some light reading that implied fixed prime always had sharper images.
Yet after the post that said he 18-55mm has sharper pics 20-23mm gives me the opportunity to see what happens there too. And I am nearly always stopped down to F8.
Now the Samyang 10 f2 seems something to explore too.

Now I am much less confused on where I have to explore to see what happens next.
Thank you all for taking the time to share your valuable experiences.

Cheers for years
Colin