Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-24-2016, 12:44 PM   #1

My K-r doesn't start

Hello,

First of all, I appologise for my poor english. I'm a french user of a K-r since 2012. We don't do anything amazing with it, but that's not its fault if we're poor photographers ! Anyway we're used to this k-r and we like it, and that's something to me.

For a few days, this camera doesn't react at all when I turn it on. Usually, if the battery is down there's at least a red LED signal, but here nothing. I checked the battery voltage OK. I connected the camera to a computer and it wasn't detected. The contact pins for the battery look good.

I'd like to know if there is any obvious failure that I could fix myself or that would be known to be easy to repair by a pro... Because anything else would certainly be too expensive regarding to the price of a new or second hand camera.

Our camera spent some days on the main table and we have 3 kids at home, 2 of them are young enough to have played with it and the youngest wouldn't even admit anything : she doesn't speak yet.

I'd be very greatful if someone had the time to answer. Anyway thanks for this nice forum.

Thomas.

10-24-2016, 12:59 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Before writing the camera off, try it with AA's using the optional battery holder, or try a new D-Li109 battery. Worst case, you can hang on the battery and upgrade to a new model that also takes that battery (like the K-S2 or K-70).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-24-2016, 06:52 PM   #3

Thom,

I would also encourage you to test the camera very carefully before giving up on it. DSLR's in general, and Pentaxes in particular, are typically pretty robust. I would be truly impressed if your young'un's managed to damage the camera in such a way that it fails to work without showing any signs of physical trauma.
10-25-2016, 02:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you both for your answers, advices and references.

I wrote here before ordering a new battery because the charger detected nothing wrong and the voltage is correct, but I obviously have to make sure. I'll test a new battery as soon as I'll receive it and I'll tell you the result. I'd be ashamed if it was it, but very pleased as well.

Of course I noticed that this camera is robust, it's our family camera and it has never shown any kind of erratic behavior for 4.5 years. That's why I'm surprised and I try to find out here if there can be an obvious explanation... My aim is not to get rid of it (furthermore I don't have the possibility to buy a new one right now)... but "testing the camera very carefully" will be difficult if it doesn't even start !

11-01-2016, 03:10 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
Here's an update : I received a new battery and was about to become proud owner of 2 specific batteries for a non-working device... but it appeared that the problem was a lack of contact in the battery case. I had already checked with no result, it seems that the contact was slightly improved with the new battery, enough to get a short start & stop (meaning hope !) before trying to improve the contacts.

I cleaned the camera pins, I gently pulled them with a screw driver... and it's working so far. I'm not sure that it will last but at least I know the cause, that was my aim when I came here.

Thanks again for your replies.
Thomas.