Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2016, 12:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Setting tweaks - best practices?

After messing with various settings (not having read the manual, mind you, but just experimenting since I know the "reset" function will get me out of trouble) I managed to make my K-r shoot multiple frames SOMETIMES while holding the shutter release down. Unintended. It was random and unpredictable. I put in a new battery (to eliminate voltage issues) and it still happened. I just reset to factory and so far it is not doing this, but still testing.

So this leads me to the following: for the *average* / *casual* photographer, is there any advantage to tweaking the default settings (other than Green button, so I can use my SMC 50mm 1.4)?? For example, the AF/AE settings by default are:

AF.A
Multi Segment
Auto 5

And the custom image is Bright

12-03-2016, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check the drive mode. Make sure it's set to single frame rather than continuous.

Also, if you want more predictable focusing behavior, I'd recommend picking AF.S or AF.C instead of letting the camera decide

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-16-2017, 02:58 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Check the drive mode. Make sure it's set to single frame rather than continuous.

Also, if you want more predictable focusing behavior, I'd recommend picking AF.S or AF.C instead of letting the camera decide
I often use back AF button for AF on my K-r, setting AF.C with auto 5 points while disconnecting AF from shutter button. It allows me to benefit from both AF.S (when I just press the AF button on the back once it works like AF.S in fact) or AF.C (just by pressing the button continously it adjusts for small movements or tracks moving subject). It is also easier to use SR because you can half-press shutter button which enables SR and do not change the focus. Also good when you want to use AF and tripod.

You can find the details here:

Perfect focus everytime - PentaxForums.com