Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2017, 10:31 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-2000 does the same thing, Pentax rep told me that internal capacitor that keeps the internal clock ticking is dead, Live with it or send it for repair.

Minor annoyance, was using it like that until I moved on to newer bodies. Camera still functions tho.

11-05-2017, 09:10 AM   #17

My K-3 is presently away at the Ricoh Pentax repair facility for correction of this fault, under warranty. I hope that everything works when I get it back.
11-05-2017, 09:45 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stag beetle Quote
My K-3 is presently away at the Ricoh Pentax repair facility for correction of this fault, under warranty. I hope that everything works when I get it back.
I got an estimate of about $200 CDN recently from Sun Camera. A shame, but that's a bit too much for me.
01-29-2024, 11:10 AM   #19

I know this is an old thread, but I have this problem with a recently purchased used K50. Resetting the time and date is not a major problem. However, I have noticed that the main battery apparently discharges over a few days (from maintaining settings or trying to charge the internal battery?). At this point, should I try to replace the internal battery, clip the internal battery, make sure I always have a charged battery on hand, or remove the main battery when the camera isn't being used?
Advice from users more experienced is appreciated.

01-29-2024, 03:35 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TailboardRider Quote
I know this is an old thread, but I have this problem with a recently purchased used K50. Resetting the time and date is not a major problem. However, I have noticed that the main battery apparently discharges over a few days (from maintaining settings or trying to charge the internal battery?). At this point, should I try to replace the internal battery, clip the internal battery, make sure I always have a charged battery on hand, or remove the main battery when the camera isn't being used?
My K-01 exhibits exactly these symptoms ... rapid discharge of the main battery.
I simply remove it until I want to use the camera, then I set the time/date.
Replacement would seem ideal, but there's always a risk of further damage, assuming you can find the part, so whilst the camera otherwise works I live with the issue.
Similarly clipping the internal battery ... something might go wrong during the disassembly/reassembly ... accidents can happen!
I don't feel unable to do the job, just that the risks may outweigh the minor reduction in inconvenience.
Your call
01-29-2024, 06:35 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
My K-01 exhibits exactly these symptoms ... rapid discharge of the main battery.
I simply remove it until I want to use the camera, then I set the time/date.
Replacement would seem ideal, but there's always a risk of further damage, assuming you can find the part, so whilst the camera otherwise works I live with the issue.
Similarly clipping the internal battery ... something might go wrong during the disassembly/reassembly ... accidents can happen!
I don't feel unable to do the job, just that the risks may outweigh the minor reduction in inconvenience.
Your call
Thanks. That's kind of where I was headed, but wanted another opinion. I have worked on phones and tablets, and know how easy it is for an "oops".
01-30-2024, 11:18 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TailboardRider Quote
Your question should be in the K-30/K-50 thread.
Anyway:

Replacing the internal battery see HERE

Also for which types of battery.

If you don't want to solder, then clipping the old one brings you the benefit that you can leave the main D-LI109 inside without it being sucked empty because the internal battery tries very hard to charge itself.

If you replace it, you can do the clipping method as well, this way you leave the two feet soldered on the mainboard. This makes it easier to solder the new battery
onto those two feet. You fix the new battery with bluetack (or epoxy) so it stays in place which makes soldering much easier.
I recommend the old style leaded solder, ideal is solder without flux and then flux/resin (colophony / kalifornia flux). If you have pure colophony, you can dilute it in alcool and then add an aspirin (no kidding). CAIG Rosin flux is ready made and excellent but expensive.

The reason for this ancient soldering method: You can apply solder without rosin much better, there is no rosin burning away but the rosin is applied in tiny amounts to the to be soldered parts. Makes life much easier. The tiny amount of lead for such a short work I find non-critical. But have a window open and a fan blowing air over the to be soldered parts into the direction of the window.