Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lost date and time settings with battery change

I haven't used my k-r for a while since getting my k-3, but when I did use it recently I had to re-set the date and time every time I replaced the battery. Is there any way I can stop this from happening?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

01-29-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have t do it every time I change the battery on the K-3.
01-29-2017, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #3
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same, I have to reset it (rarely, very rarely, I don't have to) every time I change the battery on my K-30. When I asked, people said maybe the internal date/time battery has died.
01-29-2017, 12:13 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That probably explains it. The first time it happened was a bit of a critical moment for us. We had pulled up at a road kill with a huge eagle in attendance - I wanted to capture the defining moment with my K-3, meanwhile my wife was trying to get the k-r to work - the first time she had tried to use it. Do I keep on clicking or help her out and possibly miss the shot?

01-29-2017, 03:54 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just to be clear, are you letting the battery entirely discharge before changing it, or would the settings also disappear if you stopped to swap out a half drained battery?
The internal batteries do have a limited cycle (as do all batteries). I rarely use my K-30, but I keep a battery in it and change it monthly (at least), just to maintain the internal battery.
If yours are not already entirely dead, you might benefit from a similar regimen.

Last edited by Quartermaster James; 01-29-2017 at 03:59 PM.
01-29-2017, 05:40 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
The internal batteries do have a limited cycle (as do all batteries). I rarely use my K-30, but I keep a battery in it and change it monthly (at least), just to maintain the internal battery.
Am I mistaken in thinking that current-model Pentax dSLR bodies maintain the internal clock with a high charge capacitor (so-called supercap, with capacitance in the range of 0.2-1.0 farad) rather than a battery? There have been a number of threads on the topic on this site and that is the conventional answer, though there is often dissent with others claiming that a rechargeable lithium cell is used to maintain a low voltage when the main battery is removed.

This thread might be helpful. At least one user claimed to have fixed their K-x with a new capacitor.

Clock resets with battery change - PentaxForums.com

Fix of K-01 with similar:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/138-pentax-k-01/301507-k-01-not-saving-date-settings.html

Steve
01-29-2017, 09:19 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Am I mistaken in thinking that current-model Pentax dSLR bodies maintain the internal clock with a high charge capacitor (so-called supercap, with capacitance in the range of 0.2-1.0 farad) rather than a battery? There have been a number of threads on the topic on this site and that is the conventional answer, though there is often dissent with others claiming that a rechargeable lithium cell is used to maintain a low voltage when the main battery is removed.

This thread might be helpful. At least one user claimed to have fixed their K-x with a new capacitor.

Clock resets with battery change - PentaxForums.com

Fix of K-01 with similar:

K-01 Not Saving Date or Settings - PentaxForums.com

Steve
I too have seen much speculation/discussion, but I've not yet received a definitive answer re: capacitor or battery (hint, hint...Bueller, Bueller...) Regardless, I am given to understand that both have a relatively limited tolerance for full discharge/recharge cycles. This latter is anecdotal rather than theoretical. Personally, I would have expected a capacitor to endure more cycles, but that is entirely the opinion of an unqualified non-engineer.

FWIW: I have also read reports of people fixing this issue by formatting their cards in camera. Yeah...I have no idea either...could be correlation vs. causation.

01-29-2017, 09:28 PM   #8
Imp
Pentaxian

Interesting. I've never left my camera for a long time without a battery or with a discharged battery... yet I've still got the issue. Oh well, I deal with it
01-30-2017, 06:47 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice everyone. I left the battery in the camera - the camera was idle for about a year except for a week during the summer when my K-3 was in for service and I had no problem at that time. I just tried removing a fully charged battery and putting it back and I lost the time/date settings again. Then I tried formatting the card, removed the battery, lost the settings again. and that didn't work. I wonder how much this would cost to get repaired?
01-30-2017, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #10
Imp
Pentaxian

I would not think it would be worth the cost... but I maybe wrong!
01-30-2017, 12:23 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
I would not think it would be worth the cost... but I maybe wrong!
Agreed. If memory serves, other threads have indicated that this repair involves the replacing a circuit board. Hmmm...that seems to speak to the capacitor argument. Has anyone got a hold of a K-30 service manual yet?
01-30-2017, 12:27 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
I wonder how much this would cost to get repaired?
Ping the folk at Sun Camera Repair. It may not be as expensive as one might think.

Steve
01-30-2017, 01:12 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ping the folk at Sun Camera Repair. It may not be as expensive as one might think.
Thanks, I'll do that.
05-03-2017, 06:49 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Thanks, I'll do that.
Any Luck?
05-03-2017, 08:40 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by suraswami Quote
Any Luck?
Thanks for your interest.
I emailed them and they just said to bring it in for a free estimate (I thought the problem would be pretty clear from my description). Although the store is located just outside Toronto it's a long drive through heavy traffic to get there from where I am. I'll put up with the problem for now and wait until there's something more substantive with my K-3 or one mf my lenses (hopefully not soon!) before I make the trip.