Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2017, 03:04 AM   #1

Aberration, the problem

At me such here a problem - Pentax Kx, an insertion 1.03, at shooting in mode AV on 4 lenses (one Whale, 2 manual and the third manual with support AV) on a photo there is as though an aberration (white it is blurred horizontally, on different lenses on a miscellaneous (More, less) thought the problem in the lenses ... but I checked everything in M mode perfectly ... I've already reset the settings .. what's in AV turns on so that it smears? Maybe I'm either turning on wrong in the settings? I'm asking for help .. so As in AV it is still easier to work with the manual.

Sample photos: 1 photo - AV mode, 2 photo mode - M

The lens - SMC Pentax-M 50 1.7 is the same with lenses that support AV mode, and even with a KIT lens.

I apologize for my bad English ..

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
07-16-2017, 04:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CA depends on the lens, and its aperture (F-number). Low f-number means more CA, higher f-number is less CA. F-number above f12 starts to be softer and softer. On most lenses, f8 is close to optimal. CA is always two-colour, like purple and green or yellow and blue. One colour on one side, another on the other side.
If you take jpeg photos, you can press Info and turn On CA correction. This will digitally correct the CA of modern lenses. If you switch between Auto and M or other modes, this setting might change as well. Just go to Av mode, press Info, and turn on CA correction.

Secondly, it could be purple fringing. This is a purple line on high contrast edges, like when you have dark object in front of bright sky. CA also depends on aperture, but also on exposure. IF the photo is overexposed, very bright, then the CA will be more apparent. If the photo is darker (so the background is not pure white), then the CA will be less noticeable.

Wikipedia has good article on Chromatic Aberration and with many translations (left side, scroll down). Read "minimization" and "mitigation" chapters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_fringing

Edit: Also, remember that most viewers don't notice this. This is something that photographers get obsessed with. But most audience does not care. You can buy lenses for $700+ if you want to have less CA. But even many $1000 lenses still have some
07-16-2017, 02:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the answer, but my camera does not allow turning on CA correction in AV mode for manual lens. why?

---------- Post added 07-16-17 at 02:35 PM ----------

And why in AV mode is CA and in mode M there is no CA?