Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2018, 03:27 PM   #1

K-x eyecup viewfinder repair replacement

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

i dont how I lost the rubber eye cup from my K-x. I don't understand how can it just come off the viewfinder and get lost.

I was looking for the piece to buy but I can't find it specifically for my Kx. Where can I find the piece to buy and replace?

I found for other Pentax models, wich is the most similar camera to know if it fits on mine?

thanks!!!!

09-23-2018, 03:52 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cuca Quote
i dont how I lost the rubber eye cup from my K-x. I don't understand how can it just come off the viewfinder and get lost.

I was looking for the piece to buy but I can't find it specifically for my Kx. Where can I find the piece to buy and replace?

I found for other Pentax models, wich is the most similar camera to know if it fits on mine?

thanks!!!!
The part is called "Pentax Eyecup FQ". Here's an affordable knock-off replacement:
JJC Eyecup Eyepiece Viewfinder for Pentax K100D K110D K200D K-r As Pentax FO 6950291531124 | eBay

AFAIK it is no longer in production, but you should be able to use the current eyecup FR as well:
Pentax Eyecup FR for K7 Digital SLR Camera (replacement) 30200

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-24-2018, 05:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have a JJC eyecup on one of my cameras, I think it's my K10D. I don't remember for sure and the build quality is so exact to the original I can't spot the knockoff by looking.
12-05-2021, 03:10 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but my K-X eyecup fell apart due to old age and it turns out especially the FQ or FQ replacements still can't be ordered anywhere.

If I understand correctly most of the F-series eyecups from earlier and newer models would work? Which one would be the best fit? There must be a reason why they all had different models names so I guess they're not identical. Does anyone know the difference between FO and FR for example?

I read the other thread about the eyecup timeline, but there's not much info on what the actual differences on the eyecups are.

12-06-2021, 04:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pimpim Quote
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but my K-X eyecup fell apart due to old age and it turns out especially the FQ or FQ replacements still can't be ordered anywhere.

If I understand correctly most of the F-series eyecups from earlier and newer models would work? Which one would be the best fit? There must be a reason why they all had different models names so I guess they're not identical. Does anyone know the difference between FO and FR for example?

I read the other thread about the eyecup timeline, but there's not much info on what the actual differences on the eyecups are.

I went through this loop when looking for a replacement eyecup for my *istDL2 (FN eyecup) … I've "borrowed" the eyecup from my *ist film camera … it's fine!
The mechanical fitment appears identical on all the DSLR's … it'd have to be to support the auxiliary viewfinder attachments like the O-OM53 magnifier or the right-angle viewfinder.
The only subtle differences are down to slight variations in the soft rubber moulding to suit the individual camera body shape.
I don't have a K-x, but my *istDL2 also has a penta-mirror, and the only difference seems to be that the viewfinder cup stands slightly further off the body than the penta-prism cameras, and so is slightly thicker, to compensate.
I'd suggest any eyecup deemed suitable for one of the other Pentax DSLR's would fit and work perfectly, provided you're not too fussy about a slight gap between the rubber surround and the camera body.
Good luck
12-06-2021, 04:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The size of the viewfinder surround has been standard since the M series film SLRs I think. Before that the K series and M-42 mount cameras had a slightly different size.

I've recently bought a couple of the JJCs for Z-1 film SLRs (which for some reason seem to often come without them) and they're a good fit and good quality. On the Z-1 it even overlaps a little the film door so is an extra little protection from that accidentally opening.
12-07-2021, 05:38 AM   #7

Oh, thanks a lot! I will just get the one that's easiest to acquire, if it extends a bit further, might even be better for photographing with eyeglasses

12-08-2021, 05:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pimpim Quote
Oh, thanks a lot! I will just get the one that's easiest to acquire, if it extends a bit further, might even be better for photographing with eyeglasses
It extends a little further downwards, not outwards, so I don't think it'll make any difference to glasses.
12-09-2021, 02:42 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
It extends a little further downwards, not outwards, so I don't think it'll make any difference to glasses.
ah ok thanks, I found there is a JJC EP-1 which resembles the FO JJC Eyecup Eyepiece Viewfinder for Pentax K100D K110D K200D K-r As Pentax FO 6950291531124 | eBay

And a JJC EP-FR which resembles the FR JJC Eyecup Eyepiece for PENTAX KP,645Z,K3II,K5IIs,K7,K50,K-S1,K-S2,K-70 as FR | eBay

The EP-1 / FO seems to extend a little bit less at the bottom due to a little thinner bezel, will try that one first then

(ebay links just as an example, no experiences or affiliation with the sellers)

Last edited by pimpim; 12-09-2021 at 02:52 AM.
02-07-2022, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #10

I found a new-old-stock FP so tried that and it works, not as sleek as the original but actually sticking out a bit better for me as someone wearing glasses. The diopter correction is harder to move now though.
03-05-2022, 04:40 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
....The only subtle differences are down to slight variations in the soft rubber moulding to suit the individual camera body shape.
I don't have a K-x, but my *istDL2 also has a penta-mirror, and the only difference seems to be that the viewfinder cup stands slightly further off the body than the penta-prism cameras, and so is slightly thicker, to compensate.
That part onto which the eyecup either slides or has to be clicked onto is quite different with penta-mirror Pentax DSLRs:

- stronger resessed: K100D; K110D + K100D Super: Pentax FO (it clicks on and is slanted at the sides)

- resessed: K200D but normal slide-on eyecup: Pentax FP (same as K10/20D) but can take Pentax FR (K7/5/30/50 etc.)

- not resessed: K-m (K-2000), K-x, K-r: Pentax FQ, but can take FR or FP somehow, but more difficult to reach the diopter

- not resessed: *ist-DL/2: Pentax FN, clicks on like the FQ but can take the eyecup of the MZ60/50/5n as well as the one from the MZ7/30

- not recessed: *istD/DS/DS2: Pentax FL, slides on like the later Penta Prism versions, can take all those later versions but is thinner

So the orig. Pentax FQ for the K-m, K-x and K-r is the most difficult one to replace

Last edited by photogem; 08-26-2022 at 10:18 PM.
03-07-2022, 04:39 AM   #12

Oh thanks for the overview!