Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2018, 04:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-r gone Mad ?

My used K-r has given me strange quirks since I got it several months ago.
I have several batteries DSTE and Pentax , and it seems to do it at random.
Mirror flapping , mirror/shutter actuation when pushing any function/menu button , sounds like shutter fires when scrolling through the menu with each selection pushed.
It seems to be worse with a M42 or K mount lens.
Seems to be worse in Live View but not sure.
I use the camera in spite of its continued glitches , but its really aggravating me as its not usually constant.
Any suggestions ?
I have the latest firmware update , and have done a Menu reset.
Should I do another fresh update (if that's possible) to see if it relieves the glitches and erratic behavior ?

11-17-2018, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Odd behavior indeed. If you frequently swap out lenses and adapters it could be that the body contacts are dirty or damaged. Try cleaning them. It is a bit tricky since you have the mirror box exposed. Another possibility is battery issues. Have you tried swapping out the battery?
11-17-2018, 06:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes I had issues like this with my K-r. If you search the forum (mirror flapping/flopping etc) there are a number of threads... firmware glitch imo.
See also my thread on K-r behaviour with non conducting mounts. Might be worth trying the foil trick.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/116-pentax-k-r/271872-tests-plated-vs-pa...r-whats-t.html

No more issues when I upgraded the K-r to a K5
11-17-2018, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
Odd behavior indeed. If you frequently swap out lenses and adapters it could be that the body contacts are dirty or damaged. Try cleaning them. It is a bit tricky since you have the mirror box exposed. Another possibility is battery issues. Have you tried swapping out the battery?
I cut an old white body cap to expose the contacts while still protecting the mirror box. Not perfect but it worked and I felt better (being mostly thumbs) about working and not messing something up worse. Might try that if you have one of the cheap white body caps.

11-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I cut an old white body cap to expose the contacts while still protecting the mirror box. Not perfect but it worked and I felt better (being mostly thumbs) about working and not messing something up worse. Might try that if you have one of the cheap white body caps.
Excellent idea. Cleaning the contacts always makes me nervous. Will try this next time!
11-17-2018, 03:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
new batteries didn't help.
The odd thing is modern lenses such as the F series , FA , and DA series don't do it at all while mounted on the camera ?
Its the A , K , M , and Takumars that seem to be involved. I will try cleaning the contacts again.
The camera works fine otherwise. I wanted to post it for sale , but don't want to irritate someone else.
11-17-2018, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try cleaning the battery contacts. My DS had some similar behavior years ago, and that cured it.