Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2019, 12:46 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just bought a 2nd hand K-R

I just purchased a red Pentax K-r with a red 18-55 kit lens.
I already have a K-70 and a K-x (white with white 18-55 kit lens) in my bag but I will replace the K-x with the K-r mainly for the batteries.
It comes with 4 batteries that I can also use with the K-70. I will now be taking it with me on holiday to Europe instead of the K-x for that reason.

I would like to know if people think I am silly for replacing the K-x or not.

I have attached a Pic of my travel bag as of now.. Just waiting for the red K-r from eBay. My Eroupe trip is 8 weeks away and counting :-) The lenses may yet change

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ATU-L22  Photo 
04-08-2019, 05:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Loved the k-r, wish I had stopped when I was ahead. I had one with a poor control dial, for $60 and 10 minutes' work it was a true steal
04-08-2019, 06:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I had the nice K-x as my first great high-ISO camera, but when I later got one for my daughter I opted for the similar K-r since (as I recall) only the K-r has an AF point indicator in the viewfinder (and BTW I seldom use center-point AF).

So yes, it makes sense.
04-08-2019, 07:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

K-r is a great camera....enjoyed shooting macro with it and its my main interval/time lapse device

04-14-2019, 03:53 PM   #5

I keep thinking that maybe it's time to upgrade from the K-r, but every time I find a new technique to try I find the K-r is totally capable. I've been pleasantly surprised at how much learning and great photography I've been able to get out of my investment 8 years ago. I have recently been adding some lenses and an external flash and found it's made a world of difference from just shooting with the kit 18-55. Looks like you already have that part covered. Enjoy your trip!
06-24-2019, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #6

I like mine. The only problem I've had with it is the control dial stops working after a while. My guess is that grunge from my finger builds up. I spray Marine Electronic Cleaner in and spin it a few times, and it comes back to life.
07-20-2019, 06:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Replacing the K-x with the K-r is a good choice. The K-r has some nice features that the K-x lacks such as an interval timer. Mine had the control dial problem but a little contact cleaner lightly sprayed in the dial with a bit of back and forth work cleared that right up. Very nice compact camera.
07-20-2019, 06:36 AM   #8
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-r is a very capable camera. I got one here in the forums for an amazing deal and then passed it along to a friend who wanted to get back into photography and was a Penta user years ago. Great value and takes nice images. The red Is pretty sharp looking on the K-r also!