Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2019, 07:25 AM   #1

Remote shutter timer needed please

I have a K-r fitted with the O-GPS1 Astrotracker unit.
What I need to be able to do is operate the shutter remotely and to be able to set the length of the exposure or multiple exposures.
My searches on ebay etc only turn up units that say they are not compatible with the K-r.
Can anyone advise an alternative or is there a way to do this in the camera itself ?
I intend to use the camera for astrophotography at prime focus without eyepieces etc.
I'd really appreciate some guidence or I will have to ditch the camera and go to a dedicated cmos/ccd camera.
Cheers
Keith

04-28-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum.

Looking at the manual, i think your only option for remote on the k-r is wireless IR, from the front of the camera (pg 147). Just a shutter release.

You can set the camera up for interval shooting (pg 151 of the manual)
04-28-2019, 10:03 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Unfortunately, your camera does not support a wired intervalometer, though it does have the feature built in. If additional or expanded functionality are desired*, there are IR remote phone apps** that might work as a remote intervalometer, but battery drain on both camera and phone might be high. A good option might be a body that has the fitting for a wired remote and/or the intervalometer feature built in. That would include flagship models from the K20D forward and some lower models starting with the K-30. All current models support both wired remote and in-camera intervalometer.

Steve

* The built-in intervalometer may not be available for several modes commonly used for astrophotography, including "B" for exposures longer than the 30 second maximum for the camera.

** DSLR Remote for Android (by bitshift) is one such app and may be configured specifically for Pentax. I have used DSLR Remote with my phone's IR blaster, but not with wired connection or Bluetooth.

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-28-2019 at 10:40 AM.
04-28-2019, 01:21 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check out the higher-end wireless releases made by Vello. In particular

Vello Wireless ShutterBoss III Remote Switch with Digital Timer for Select Canon Cameras

The three-contact mini-pin wire supplied with this unit also operates almost all Pentax digital cameras (exception: KP which requires an adapter).

OOPS! Didn't realize the KR does not have a port for a wired release. Cancel this advice.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 04-29-2019 at 04:40 AM.
04-28-2019, 07:01 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum.

Judging from your ID, you are a ham radio operator- and indulging in moonbounce!?

Dave - aka W8MIF
04-29-2019, 06:55 PM   #6

Original Poster
Yep thats correct, VK6EME and VK6KB . EME and microwave frequencies are my only interest in ham radio these days, primarily 10 ghz
Cheers